Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Body damage (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/body-damage-31789.html)

JonJon 11-29-2011 01:17 PM

Body damage

I need some help before I spend the money at a body shop. I backed into a tree after wheeling last weekend and now have a good size dent. Id like to try to pop it back out myself, but am not very familiar with this kind of body work. Does anyone know any tricks? It doesnt have any creases or chipped paint. It looks like a softball was pressed against it. I have a picture below.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D550/ry%3D400/

DrLocke 11-29-2011 01:30 PM

Re: Body damage

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 524030)
I need some help before I spend the money at a body shop. I backed into a tree after wheeling last weekend and now have a good size dent. Id like to try to pop it back out myself, but am not very familiar with this kind of body work. Does anyone know any tricks? It doesnt have any creases or chipped paint. It looks like a softball was pressed against it. I have a picture below.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D550/ry%3D400/

Try going to Pep Boys or your local auto parts store. They should have body repair kits. In particular there is a suction cup device that you attach to the dent, apply suction and gently pull the dent out. It should work as long as there are no hard creases. That would save you buku bucks and give you a tool for future dents.
Hope this helps.

DAVY27 11-29-2011 02:26 PM

^doubt those will work. I tried it once and total BS.(it cost like$20? so idk if we are talking about the same thing) good thing i was able to return it.

I never done it so idk if popping it back out will cause any other problems but from the looks of it, i think i would start by popping the plastic liftgate panel and see if you can get access through that.

JonJon 11-29-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 524076)
^doubt those will work. I tried it once and total BS.(it cost like$20? so idk if we are talking about the same thing) good thing i was able to return it.

I never done it so idk if popping it back out will cause any other problems but from the looks of it, i think i would start by popping the plastic liftgate panel and see if you can get access through that.

I tried just tried one of the suction ones, it didn't do anything. I'm gonna remove the panel tomorrow and see what's back there. I'm hoping it doesn't have another piece of metal blocking it.

jlewissystem 11-29-2011 05:17 PM

Maybe try opening th liftgate to remove the inside plastic and possibly trying to "bang" it out with a rubber mallot?

Don's GC 11-30-2011 12:58 PM

Step away from the Jeep!! If you try and pop the metal from the inside you will stretch the metal and never get it right. Trust me done that before. Look online or in your phone book for a paintless dent repair service like Dentmaster or Dent Wizzard. They can drill a small hole from the side panel and push out most or all of the dent if it is not creassed very bad. You can call any used car dealer and they will give you a number to call for the service they use. It will cost from $60 to $75 dollars, but be alot cheaper than a body shop and only take about half an hour. I had it done on the tailgate of my 08 Wk and it looks great.

DAVY27 11-30-2011 01:13 PM

^ good info. probably the safest way handling this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonJon (Post 524151)
I tried just tried one of the suction ones, it didn't do anything. I'm gonna remove the panel tomorrow and see what's back there. I'm hoping it doesn't have another piece of metal blocking it.

i tried popping my dent on the front door panel but another metal was in the way. FTL!!! For now, it's a beauty mark.

GR33N D3M0N 11-30-2011 01:23 PM

Take a heat gun, or a blow dryer and circle around the area and then take a can of compressed air, and flip it upside down and spray it, this should let the dent pop out, i'll find a video one minute

GR33N D3M0N 11-30-2011 01:24 PM

DAVY27 11-30-2011 01:30 PM

^^ sh*******t lol. i need to try this now lol. maybe on my beater Accord.

robpp 11-30-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by don's gc (Post 524772)
step away from the jeep!! If you try and pop the metal from the inside you will stretch the metal and never get it right. Trust me done that before. Look online or in your phone book for a paintless dent repair service like dentmaster or dent wizzard. They can drill a small hole from the side panel and push out most or all of the dent if it is not creassed very bad. You can call any used car dealer and they will give you a number to call for the service they use. It will cost from $60 to $75 dollars, but be alot cheaper than a body shop and only take about half an hour. I had it done on the tailgate of my 08 wk and it looks great.

^^^^^^^this/

JonJon 11-30-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GR33N D3M0N (Post 524792)

Thanks a lot bro. I actually have these items now, I'm gonna give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen? I waste a little money on electricity and a partial can of compressed air? Lol