Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Transmission service gone bad :( (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/transmission-service-gone-bad-31790.html)

BoxerMom9 11-29-2011 01:27 PM

Transmission service gone bad :(

Hi Everyone, this is my first post. I have a 2006 JGC 3.7L with 59k. I had the typical shifting problems with error codes P0700 & P2767. Took it to a transmission shop, he said I needed a new TCM, since he was doing that I asked him to do a fluid & filter change also. Other than shifting issues, I had no leaks or anything else. $705 for that service (which is still way cheaper than the dealer)

It was leaking afterwards, took it back once, he said he dried it out and it was residual from dropping the pan. But as soon as I parked it on my driveway (which is kinda steep) it was still leaking.

Took it back again and he did a new pan gasket, parked it on an incline and this am, it was leaking still. So, he said its one of the seals on the transfer case. Which he didnt touch during the first service.

He said that theres 2 seals, so he's gonna do both for $250.

Anyone else have these issues?

Hopefully this will bring up the pics... http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/Boxermom9/

robpp 11-29-2011 01:57 PM

Re: Transmission service gone bad :(

some early NAG1 trans had a TSB on the wiring PLUG that had a bad ORING or something like that and caused leaks . it was ONLY ealry ones but some google searches on forums OLDER than this one may uncover the TSB and the fix. perhaps thats what he is talking about.

use photobucket or similar for pictures. account is free. they provide a bit of code that you then copy/paste here and viola the pic will show.

BoxerMom9 11-29-2011 02:00 PM

Thanks for the info. :) I'll set one up now to show the pics.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/Boxermom9/

GratefulDeadWK 12-14-2011 11:28 AM

Had the same problem on my 05. Was the stupid plug. Whatever you do avoid East Hills Jeep Service department is hands down the worst group of people ever.

BoxerMom9 12-14-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GratefulDeadWK (Post 533869)
Had the same problem on my 05. Was the stupid plug. Whatever you do avoid East Hills Jeep Service department is hands down the worst group of people ever.

I try to avoid them ALWAYS. Never had a good experience with dealers. My Mazda dealer (before Jeep) after having the car all day for an oil change, inspection & tire rotation, I go pick it up after work they didnt do the inspection(just forgot to read the work order) AND I drive out...they simply forgot to tighten my lug nuts on the front wheel, I pulled over and could literally twist off the lug nuts with my fingers, to say I was furious is an understatement... after that, I never took any vehicle to another to a dealer. I just don't trust them. And I refuse to pay their higher labor costs when they are subpar!

2005JGC 12-14-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerMom9 (Post 533991)
I try to avoid them ALWAYS. Never had a good experience with dealers. My Mazda dealer (before Jeep) after having the car all day for an oil change, inspection & tire rotation, I go pick it up after work they didnt do the inspection(just forgot to read the work order) AND I drive out...they simply forgot to tighten my lug nuts on the front wheel, I pulled over and could literally twist off the lug nuts with my fingers, to say I was furious is an understatement... after that, I never took any vehicle to another to a dealer. I just don't trust them. And I refuse to pay their higher labor costs when they are subpar!

My parents have 5k into a motor replacement in their chevy express van. The motor replaced less than 300 miles after a very well liked independant shop did head gaskets on it furthermore a seal was missing on the a/c system causing a loss of refrigerant (initially he just though he forgot to charge it following the repair), and lower intake manifold bolts were almost hand tight and reused with heavy rust and scale on them... If you think going to an independant shop is an answer for finding *perfect* human beings to work on your car your sadly mistaken. Not saying you should take it to the dealer or that they are better than you think they are, simply stating the facts, techs at independant shops are human too.

I saw a new members post here the other day where an independant shop did services to it, I cannot remember the final total but he was having his front diff replaced, his motor gave out in their possession, and it started because the wrong fluid was used in the diffs. NO ONE is perfect. Just keep that in your back pocket wherever you go to have your car worked on.

BoxerMom9 12-14-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 534130)
My parents have 5k into a motor replacement in their chevy express van. The motor replaced less than 300 miles after a very well liked independant shop did head gaskets on it furthermore a seal was missing on the a/c system causing a loss of refrigerant (initially he just though he forgot to charge it following the repair), and lower intake manifold bolts were almost hand tight and reused with heavy rust and scale on them... If you think going to an independant shop is an answer for finding *perfect* human beings to work on your car your sadly mistaken. Not saying you should take it to the dealer or that they are better than you think they are, simply stating the facts, techs at independant shops are human too.

I saw a new members post here the other day where an independant shop did services to it, I cannot remember the final total but he was having his front diff replaced, his motor gave out in their possession, and it started because the wrong fluid was used in the diffs. NO ONE is perfect. Just keep that in your back pocket wherever you go to have your car worked on.

I totally agree, its a catch 22, especially if you cant/dont do your own work. Integrity and good work ethic is lacking in most places these days. I avoid dealers bc of my experience's, and im sure they have some great techs, but it's luck of the draw. kinda sucks. And if Im gonna get ripped, I dont want to pay their high labor rates. ;)

but yes, its everywhere and its unfortunate. I dread any problems cause it's like, ooookkkkk, time to go get ripped royally, lol.