Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Power steering problem? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/power-steering-problem-31847.html)

oldgeezer 11-30-2011 11:07 AM

Power steering problem?

2005 Limited 5.7. Have been hearing a strange whine from engine compartment. The engine was at operating temperature and trans. was in park. Whine is more noticeable as RPM's increase. In either case, I decided to check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir. Stopped the engine and popped the hood. Turned the cap to check the level and as I was turning it, there was so much pressure that the cap/dipstick "blew" out of my hand and landed on the engine perimeter. Put the cap back on and took a reading. Level was down a little, but not real noticeable. Question? Why is the system under such pressure that the cap blew out at least 6-8 inches in the air? Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

mrtosh 11-30-2011 02:32 PM

Re: Power steering problem?

It shouldn't be under that much pressure. There's air in the system somewhere and its being pressurized. The fluid could've been pretty hot as well. How's your steering? Engine temp(power steering pump runs the hydraulic cooling fan also)? I've heard of guys not flushing their system properly and cracking the plastic fluid reservoir. Any leaks at the rack or anywhere else?

oldgeezer 11-30-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtosh (Post 524836)
It shouldn't be under that much pressure. There's air in the system somewhere and its being pressurized. The fluid could've been pretty hot as well. How's your steering? Engine temp(power steering pump runs the hydraulic cooling fan also)? I've heard of guys not flushing their system properly and cracking the plastic fluid reservoir. Any leaks at the rack or anywhere else?

I looked closely and there are not any visible leaks. The steering seems to be fine/tight. I am a "new" to this vehicle owner with 3K miles to my credit. GC now has 80K+ miles. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to have the system flushed? The fluid looked clear on the dipstick. Will try later this week to see if the same problem occurs again. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dilligaf82210 11-13-2012 11:52 PM

I have the same problem with my 2005 wk. I put a new power steering pump in from the dealer, and the problem you described still happens. Today I went into the dealer and spent 2 hrs there trying to figure out what is going on. He told me to flush the system with hydralic system power steering fluid (at $20/quart) and then I have to purge the system, which I will find out how to do! He told me that would fix the pressure build up and the squealing. Hope you have luck with yours, I know I need it!