Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Jeepers Creepers!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/jeepers-creepers-31874.html)

Blueflame1979 12-01-2011 01:15 AM

Jeepers Creepers!!!

So, recently I Have been feeling my Jeep drviving kinda weird. I decided to take it to the local mechanic. I told him I felt the steering wheel loose, like I need to manuever the steering wheel more in order to get it in the right direction. A lil while back I was doing a broken uturn on the street, when I was about the straighten out the Jeep, I gave it some gas to let the power steering take over and zoom away, and the Jeep started rocking from side to side at a considerable speed, I felt for a few seconds I had lost control of the Jeep, luckily no one was near by, but My heart almost stopped, also when hitting bumps, the Jeeps veers to the left or right too much and I need to fix the steering wheel in order to get it moving straight ahead. I know for sure I need an alignment but I don't know if this has to do with having too much play in the steering wheel.While I took it in, I also thought Id have him check the brakes, since the brakes where feeling kinda funny, for instance I felt that The brakes were taking longer than usual to slow down the car.

Figuring that If anything it wouldn't cost me more than 300 bucks to fix, which I couldn't spare it in the first place or with enough luck it would just all be in my head, this is what he told me.

1) I have a power steering leak due to a worn out rack and pinion( parts=$300, Labor=$450 ,alignment =$85)

2)he found a transmission fluid leak from one of the radiator lines( $175)

3) he to me The problem with the brakes is that the front calipers didn't have enough stopping power, so "He called Jeep" and "they told him" that this was a known issue and that Jeep had updated it's calipers for the Wk's.
Calipers= $225 each- need 2 and labor With brake pads and bleeding is about $200. Even though I checked the brakes pads not to long ago and they looked good.

When he told me this I definately got scared! I don't have this kinda money!, especially now when it's Holiday season. I already Have my hands full with car payments and insurance and now for this. So I wasn't convinced and I took it to another mechanic, I have to wait to tomorrow so he can give me his answer. The leaks supposedly are not bad since I can't see them and up to this point the rack and pinion is the most important thing. The first mechanic has been my go to guy and they've never suggested anything I did not need, but now I need further advice before attempting to dish out a GRand and Change in repairs with money I don't have. The first mechanic has been servicing my Jeep and Ive been satisfied up to this point, The second mechanic or at least most mechanics where I live dOnt look like they specialize in Jeeps Because they look like they just fix cars in any way just to get by. Any thoughts on this dilemma guys??

Lucas J 12-01-2011 08:27 AM

Re: Jeepers Creepers!!!

If you haven't done so, I would do a search for Jeep/Chrysler mechanic, it will make your life much easier.

How long ago did you buy it? did you buy it from a Dealer?

Blueflame1979 12-03-2011 08:40 PM

I have searched for Jeep and Chrysler mechanics but it seems they all work for a dealership, I'm trying to steer away from that direction since they're the first ones that screwed me in the first place.
I have 7months with the Jeep I bought her from a dealership with 68k. They were reckless when they sold me the Jeep, cause it looked like someone had just turned it in and the interior was still dirty. I was so naive cause it was my first time buying a car and these people are professional swindlers but I feel in love with my Jeep from first sight. I guess they just made sure the Jeep drove out the lot, cause I bought it with a bad tps sensor, which I didn't notice till like a month later, even though it threw no engine lights or codes, the rpms kept fluctuating and the Jeep fever on its on and took off a couple of times almost getting me into an accident, everytime I took it to the dealer they kept downplaying it and said that my Jeep was fine. Until 3 months down the line it threw a check engine light and I took it to a regular mechanic where they fixed the problem.

To make the long story short, the second mechanic told me the brakes where fine and all it needed was an alignment I didn't mention anything about any rack and pinion or leaks. I took the Jeep out and I noticed a big difference the steering wheel wasn't loose anymore and the handling was alot better. Now my concern is that maybe I do have a leak and the rack and pinion is worn, so I decided to take it to meineke next week and have them inspect it since they're work and labor is guaranteed for a year. My question is if my car feels fine for the moment and I monitor the fluids can I still drive it just to do important errands, not very far? Also.I want to know when I take it to meineke, should I go straight to the point and mention the issues I was advised the issues I was advised the Jeep had? Cause I thought if ai do mention it it might give them incentive to say it does just so they can take my money. Or should I wait and see if they find any potential issues on their own? Thanx guys

Crestwood1001 12-03-2011 11:18 PM

The rack on pinion on these are terrible, Tosh has gone through a few already, but they are not that hard to replace. It wouldnt hurt to just replace it. As for the other things that first guy said hes trying to **** you. Stop going to him right away.

Crestwood1001 12-03-2011 11:18 PM

Oh and another thing to remember.... when you go for a second opinion NEVER tell the second guy what the first told you, let him look at it with a fresh opinion...

Blueflame1979 12-03-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 526872)
Oh and another thing to remember.... when you go for a second opinion NEVER tell the second guy what the first told you, let him look at it with a fresh opinion...

Damn... Gone through a few racks on pinion? Lol prob due to offroading right? Yeah I want to replace so many things just cause I want to push it past the 200k mark but just like a lot of people all around money is tight, if it can hang for alil while longer its all good, It would suck if there's was another transmission oil leak, cause I paid 150 for a leak in the transmission oil pan not too long ago and that one I did see. Thanx a lot crestwood, I was thinking about not letting them know too. the only thing that had me confused was that the other person might over look it, yet if I mention it to them it gives them more things to charge me especially if its not due yet. Though how should I go about it? Cause a general check is kinda vague... Should I tell them I have felt issues with the steering? And Would they be able to tell off the bat if there's any leaks or should I tell them that I think there are some, since they are not visible at least on the ground.

Crestwood1001 12-04-2011 12:22 AM

Mention what you felt, and let them do their thing.

05wkguy 12-05-2011 12:05 PM

I guess i always try to give people the benefit of the doubt but i'd bet your regular mechanic is not trying to rip you off, he was giving his opinion. Yes, turns out he was wrong but that speaks more to his experience than his honesty.

just my .02 cents

As for the other stuff, yes you can drive for a long time and long trips. I have had a leaky trans line for over a year now and just haven't bothered to get it fixed. You just need to be sure to keep an eye on the trans fluid level,checking it at least once a month or more and topping it up as neccesary.

Blueflame1979 12-09-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wkguy (Post 527788)
I guess i always try to give people the benefit of the doubt but i'd bet your regular mechanic is not trying to rip you off, he was giving his opinion. Yes, turns out he was wrong but that speaks more to his experience than his honesty.

just my .02 cents

As for the other stuff, yes you can drive for a long time and long trips. I have had a leaky trans line for over a year now and just haven't bothered to get it fixed. You just need to be sure to keep an eye on the trans fluid level,checking it at least once a month or more and topping it up as neccesary.

In a way you are right, everybody diagnose things based on their experience, doctors do the same thing. I mean up to this point I havent considered him wrong, my Jeep did desperately need an alignment, after driving it for a week with the alignment it drives somewhat better, but the steering wheel is getting loose again, not as much as before but I feel the difference. I haven't had a chance to take it to meineke cause I've been busy, I've been monitoring the fluids and driving slow just in case. Really I know things are gonna wear out and need repair, I'm more concerned about needing this repair right now when I don't have the funds. Cause I can't leave it parked or neither do I want to drive it knowing that something could fail on me. I also have another issue now, mpgs dropping outta nowhere I'm up to 6.8 mpgs on the evic.

Blueflame1979 12-10-2011 12:30 AM

So I took it in to the meineke shop today and I just told the guy that I felt a lot of play in the steering wheel. The guy put it on the lift and checked it he told me everything was tight and the steering wheel felt normal, he didn't even mention any leaks and for the mpgs he recomended that I get the fuel system cleaned for 89 bucks. So that's a total of three mechanics. 2 outs 3 don't find anything wrong with the steering nor any leaks. It cud be true that the rack on pinion could be on its way out but maybe not as soon as the first guy told me. What do you guys think?