Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Catalytic converter off? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/catalytic-converter-off-3192.html)

snewt22 10-10-2009 04:06 PM

Catalytic converter off?

K so I have a 06 WK 3.7, I'm hopefully about to get a magnaflow exhaust kit for it......I used to have a 2001 eclipse gt 3.0 and I got magnaflow kit for that, when I put it on, it sounded basically like a stock muffler, so after looking into it I had the converters cut off and it sounded GREAT! Didn't know what it would do for an suv 6 cyl? Any info would be nice thanks guys
ALSO, I'm not wanting my jeep to sound like an import, I just want a nice sporty sound, like I've sed before, like the Infiniti fx35.....so if it's going to sound like crap just tell me

'00 UnLimited 10-10-2009 06:16 PM

Re: Catalytic converter off?

I put a straight pipe in place of the cat on my old ZJ (inline six) and it sounded great IMO. It was a little deeper and a little louder, but there was a bit of a drone around 2500 RPMs. Ask erleep, (new member) he has my old Jeep so he'll be able to tell you exactly what it sounds like at this point.

Scottina06 10-10-2009 07:48 PM

its illegal to remove the cats...but you can get an aftermarket one.,..like magnaflow

snewt22 10-11-2009 12:28 PM

......no ideas on how it will sound?

hemi.jon 10-11-2009 12:30 PM

my inline 6 sounded good...the 3.7 idk...removing the cat will just make a deeper tone with a little rasp. so it wont change the magna flow alot, but i think it would be better to take them out, do you have emissions were you are?

snewt22 10-11-2009 02:35 PM

I don't think so I mean I already had them cut off of a vehicle plus even if we did I don't think it matters.....I jus wanna know if I should do it or not haha

hemi.jon 10-11-2009 03:04 PM

eh just do it...or put the magni on listen, then decide?

TimmyB 10-11-2009 05:34 PM

Honestly, your shit out of luck. After I got my 3.7 WK I was asking the same questions, I wanted the Infinity exhaust note but couldnt find any answers. As far as cutting the cats off, I wouldnt but im in Massachusetts where emmisions testing is strict. Im happy with my Magnaflow right now, about to do an srt exhaust with no muffler and just the two resinators, and I have no idea how its going to sound, but F it, might as well try it. If I were you, i'd just buy a simple cheap straight thru muffler and put it on with your stock pipes.

Marlin 10-11-2009 06:10 PM

If you remove the cat convertor you will very very likely throw a check engine light and limp mode.

Robert Palmer 10-11-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 77135)
If you remove the cat convertor you will very very likely throw a check engine light and limp mode.

I've heard about the CEL's but never the Jeep going into limp mode. Personal experience Ben?

Marlin 10-11-2009 06:27 PM

Only on 300C's have I seen it with my own two eyes.
Limp is often subtle and simply retards timing, a lot of people wouldn't notice it.

TimmyB 10-11-2009 07:36 PM

I've never had any issues with mine going limp. I'm sorry that you have had issues with it, maybe try eating more fruits and proteins and excersize more, stress might have something to do with it also.