Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Anyone ever put weight in the back of their WK for winter driving? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/anyone-ever-put-weight-in-the-back-of-their-wk-for-winter-driving-31924.html)

Sorrel'sWK 12-02-2011 10:44 AM

Anyone ever put weight in the back of their WK for winter driving?

The hubby thinks I need to put some weight in the back of my WK for driving this winter. I am in North Dakota so ice and snow are a very good bet. I'm a decent driver but the husband is concerned. Truthfully, I'm a better driver than he is. :D

Jeep92 12-02-2011 11:16 AM

In my opinion, I don't think it's necessary. But i would definitely invest on some good winter tires.

Scottina06 12-02-2011 11:17 AM

Re: Anyone ever put weight in the back of their WK for winter driving?

if its RWD....Ive seen people do that....but a fulltime awd? I see you have a 4.7....so you either have the QT2 or QD2 4wd systems. I think added weight will just affect your gas mileage before helping with traction

Sorrel'sWK 12-02-2011 11:27 AM

Scott, that is what I thought as well. Hubby just wanted me to look into it. I just put Cooper AT3 tires on it, snow shouldn't give me any trouble, but I have already found that glassy ice can. ;) I came up a hill in town not anticipating it and went "wheeeeeeeee"...LOL. Early in the morning and no cars around, so I had fun with it. Might help if I start slowing down a bit as well.:D

Scottina06 12-02-2011 11:29 AM

yep...ice is trouble for anything

Crashtown 12-02-2011 11:46 AM

No weight needed, QDI or QDII. My brother and I each have WK's and we cruise up and down snow/ice covered mountains all winter.

B.P.O.D 12-02-2011 12:30 PM

unless you have chains or studded tires ICE is something you have to be very careful with:(

2005JGC 12-02-2011 01:07 PM

I would NEVER want to do that in an suv... in a pickup sure, but when you go sliding off the road and roll a couple times the last thing I want is freeweight tumbling around in the car.

Furthermore Scott hit the nail on the head, if you had the open transfercase found in the 3.7l then you could have problems, but you will always send power to the rear AND front of the vehicle with the nv245 transfercase, so long as you have a 4 lo switch in your shifter you have nothing to worry about (not that you need 4 low that just indicates what transfercase you have).

Sorrel'sWK 12-02-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 526050)
I would NEVER want to do that in an suv... in a pickup sure, but when you go sliding off the road and roll a couple times the last thing I want is freeweight tumbling around in the car.

Ohhh, great point! Didn't even think of that one. :thumbsup:

wkthursty 12-02-2011 04:05 PM

its all about the tires. I have the 3.7 with fulltime awd and i try to push those limits like taking the ESP off but i also put new tires on.

dssilvestri 12-02-2011 06:14 PM

dont even need it bud unless rwd

Brian302505 12-02-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorrel'sWK (Post 525972)
The hubby thinks I need to put some weight in the back of my WK for driving this winter. I am in North Dakota so ice and snow are a very good bet. I'm a decent driver but the husband is concerned. Truthfully, I'm a better driver than he is. :D

I'm curious to see how my WK goes through winter. Also, a fellow North Dakotan very cool. The winter has been mild so far for us (at least in Grand Forks area).