Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Wet Floorboard, NOT Antifreeze (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/wet-floorboard-not-antifreeze-31978.html)

PeterB16 12-03-2011 11:17 AM

Wet Floorboard, NOT Antifreeze

Something strange happened to the WJ yesterday.
While parked on a very steep hill, facing down, my passenger side floorboard filled with water.
I was parked there about 1.5hours. I smelled it and it wasnt coolant. It was water.
Where would it have come from?
Car wash day before and rain for a few days before that.

Martyp 12-03-2011 12:31 PM

Re: Wet Floorboard, NOT Antifreeze

Blocked drain pipe, perhaps from the moonroof?

cheapjeep 12-03-2011 05:19 PM

If you have a moon roof you might want to check out this thread. http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39792
Also behind the passenger side fender liner is a rubber boot where the antenna lead passes through the body to the inside of the vehicle.Mine was cracked and water was following the antenna lead down to the passenger side floor.

PeterB16 12-03-2011 09:26 PM

Thanks. Great info. I will check it out in the daylight.

PeterB16 12-04-2011 04:08 PM

Moonroof was not leaking. I tested that and it worked as it should.

straty1987 12-04-2011 10:55 PM

i had water getting into my jeep i believe it was the door seal on the body got loss and left a void for water to get in.

but it went under the carpet and did not notice it till i was running a cable and discover my floor was wet with a few rust spots, the entire carpet sound proof sucked up water and was holding it

Frango100 12-05-2011 02:43 AM

Did you check the spare tire space for any accumulation of water? Also the HVAC housing drain could be clogged, causing accumulation of water in there.

PeterB16 12-05-2011 10:28 AM

Checked spare tire well. Dry.
Looked for leak around door seal. Looks good there too.
I used a very bright flash light and searched firewall for any noticeable water marks and there is a slight discoloration coming from AC Evap drain location on firewall.
Going to check that out later today. From what I can see, the drain plug doesnt appear to be clogged on the outter side of the firewall. I cant reach it to check it tho.
I guess I am going to have to drill a dang hole and see if that helps.

TJXJWJ 12-05-2011 01:12 PM

Or get in with a flashlight and watch while you have a friend hose the jeep down around the doors and in the cowl area at the front of the windshield.

Frango100 12-05-2011 09:34 PM

To know if the HVAC drain is open, just use the airco for a while, soon you will see water coming out of the drain in the engine bay. If not, it can be clogged. Use some thin metal wire or so to pry it.

PeterB16 12-06-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 528174)
To know if the HVAC drain is open, just use the airco for a while, soon you will see water coming out of the drain in the engine bay. If not, it can be clogged. Use some thin metal wire or so to pry it.

I dont see it coming out of the drain, nor do I see it leaking into the cabin.
If its not the AC drain, it has to be cabin air intake.

IF it is cabin air intake, which route would the water take if it was to go into the intake inside the cowl?
Would it spill right into floor or go into the duct work and leak out that way?

Frango100 12-06-2011 09:24 PM

I would say it goes to the lowest point in the A/C system, ie the HVAC housing.