Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Starting to plan out upgrade. Amp location suggestions? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/starting-to-plan-out-upgrade-amp-location-suggestions-32022.html)

fundguy 12-04-2011 12:37 PM

Starting to plan out upgrade. Amp location suggestions?

Looking for good amp locations. Where are you putting your amps? Pics would also be appreciated. Going to do a JL Audio steathbox and maybe speaker replacements. Also, what high low converters are you using? I was looking at Audiocontrol. I'd like to keep them hidden as much as possible. Was considering under seats or near spare. Also, is there a way to lift rear seat bottom without unbolting, some latch I'm missing, or does it require unbolting. Battery is under there right?
Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

ekaz 12-04-2011 02:11 PM

Re: Starting to plan out upgrade. Amp location suggestions?

Battery is under the front passenger seat. Not 100% sure on he WK2 but you probably have to unbolt the rear seat to get under it. If its like the WK1 though, there isn't much room. Buy a compressor and fix-a-flat and you could use the spare tire well.

fundguy 12-04-2011 02:25 PM

Good start. Guess I gotta get under the rear seat and see. Also, what amps are everyone using for power? I was looking at the JL Audio XD300 which the box specs recommend and the JL 500/1 v2 Slash monoblock amp. Has about twice the power and is within the boxes specs but has twice the price and I wonder if it will just be overpowering vs the rest of the system so a waste of power. THX

phisch 12-04-2011 08:08 PM

You can get 500/1's on eBay for pretty cheap. Would slam the 10w3 in the stealthbox. That's the exact setup I'm looking at. Either put the amp under the passenger seat on top of the battery cover or in the spare tire well on the rear seat side.

ekaz 12-04-2011 08:29 PM

I had a 500/1 running 2-10w3's and it sounded perfect. Have the same 2 subs being powered by am HD 750/1 and sounds just as good. A little more power is better than under powered when it comes to amps.

67rally 12-05-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekaz (Post 527425)
I had a 500/1 running 2-10w3's and it sounded perfect. Have the same 2 subs being powered by am HD 750/1 and sounds just as good. A little more power is better than under powered when it comes to amps.

x2. You can always turn down the gain on an amp to balance it out. An underpowered amp will not sound clean and can clip if the volume is turned up too high.

ekaz 12-05-2011 10:45 AM

Rockford Fosgate has some new really small footprint amps that you might be able to fit along the side in the spare tire area and still keep the spare. I am not sure how good they are but know they have them. Just a thought. Remove those storage bins that are by the tire and a smaller amp should fit in there no problem.
I have to wire in a radar detector in mine tonight so I will take a look back there.