Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Backup Camera Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/backup-camera-question-32048.html)

tyman00 12-04-2011 10:46 PM

Backup Camera Question

Hi All,

New WK2 Owner. We bought a Laredo with E Group off the lot. It has the All Weather Capability group, trailer tow group and the UConnect voice command w/ bluetooth upgrade. Other than that, it is standard so it has the 130 RES + RSC Satellite Radio.

What has me dumbfounded is the existence of a backup camera in the liftgate. It has the optics and everything. I am assuming this was an issue from the factory. Has anyone seen this happen before? I know that Mopar Accessories has backup camera upgrade as well.

Does anyone know if there is a way that I can test to see if I can pull up the image from the camera and use an aftermarket screen or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for all of your insight!

xsdbs 12-05-2011 11:52 AM

Re: Backup Camera Question

You're saying that you have a camera in the lift gate? Can you post a picture of it? In the mean time I will look into it for you. Can you PM me with the last 8 digits of your VIN # So I can look into the vehicle build listing also? Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyman00 (Post 527520)
Hi All,

New WK2 Owner. We bought a Laredo with E Group off the lot. It has the All Weather Capability group, trailer tow group and the UConnect voice command w/ bluetooth upgrade. Other than that, it is standard so it has the 130 RES + RSC Satellite Radio.

What has me dumbfounded is the existence of a backup camera in the liftgate. It has the optics and everything. I am assuming this was an issue from the factory. Has anyone seen this happen before? I know that Mopar Accessories has backup camera upgrade as well.

Does anyone know if there is a way that I can test to see if I can pull up the image from the camera and use an aftermarket screen or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for all of your insight!

tyman00 12-05-2011 12:08 PM

Yeah, it has a camera in the lift gate. It looks just like all of the other Jeeps that we looked at that had the backup assist with the upgraded stereos.

I'll send the PM in a minute with the last 8.

tyman00 12-05-2011 12:15 PM

Forum won't let me PM until, I have 5 posts.

xsdbs 12-05-2011 04:48 PM

I was able to get the build info on your vehicle, this is what I found out:

Well, I found out that you have the wrong light bar installed on the vehicle. (it's called the light bar by the plant because it also contains the license plate lights). The one that you have installed is for a vehicle that also has the 430 (RBZ) or the 430N (RHB with Navigation) radios. They are the only radios with the screen to display the back up camera information. So your vehicle has a BU camera but no where for it to display or the wiring to the front of the vehicle. Now it may be possible to use that camera and wire it into an aftermarket display. I can see if I can get the schematics for the vehicle. This may take a couple of days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyman00 (Post 527791)
Yeah, it has a camera in the lift gate. It looks just like all of the other Jeeps that we looked at that had the backup assist with the upgraded stereos.

I'll send the PM in a minute with the last 8.

tyman00 12-05-2011 04:53 PM

I suspected as much. Thanks for doing the research. If you can pull up the schematics that would be great! I'm no pro, but it's worth seeing if I can make it work.

If not it will stay there and taunt me each time I see it.

JDrew 12-05-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyman00 (Post 527979)
I suspected as much. Thanks for doing the research. If you can pull up the schematics that would be great! I'm no pro, but it's worth seeing if I can make it work.

If not it will stay there and taunt me each time I see it.

I could trade ya my 2 week old lightbar mine for it :)

tyman00 12-06-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDrew (Post 528027)
I could trade ya my 2 week old lightbar mine for it :)

Ha! Thanks, but I'll pass :)

armoredsaint 12-11-2011 12:01 AM

wow amazing how that happens, is it common for the factory to install wrong parts like that?

John47 12-11-2011 12:34 AM

The WK2's that are imported into Australia all have the lightbar backup camera as standard.

In the Laredo model we get the 431 radio that brings up the rear view on the radio display whenever reverse is selected.
What we would like is to have a second input in the radio for another camera that could be run on the back of our caravans (do you call them trailers?).

tyman00 02-10-2012 01:57 PM

John - We usually call them campers. We usually use trailers for hauling.

xsdbs - Any luck with the schematics to see if anything is run up front for me to tag into?

99formulam6 02-10-2012 04:36 PM

If you can't do it with the factory radio (which I don't think it is possible), I know the lockpick has the capability to add another camera input.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CHR550.htm