Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   since the Kicker subs are no longer available.. is upgrading the speakers still worth (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/since-the-kicker-subs-are-no-longer-available-is-upgrading-the-speakers-still-worth-32100.html)

hound 12-05-2011 09:16 PM

since the Kicker subs are no longer available.. is upgrading the speakers still worth

Hey gang,

Since the Kicker subs are no longer available.. is upgrading the speakers still worth it? I believe it is pretty cheap (around $400). Is there anyone who has just done the speakers and not the sub? How is the sound?

I am sure that for the price of the single or double box, I can get one made of better quality.

Derek

JMLoughrey 12-07-2011 10:56 AM

Re: since the Kicker subs are no longer available.. is upgrading the speakers still w

IMHO, upgradding speakers is a must. Its also my job to upgrade audio so i'm a little biast.

Nows the time of year to buy as well, with christmas coming up, most places will be having some hefty sales.

hound 12-08-2011 09:06 AM

Re: since the Kicker subs are no longer available.. is upgrading the speakers still w

thanks! Do you know if it is possible to run 4 AWG down the driver side to under the rear seat? I want to put a power distribution block back there for some seat heaters and a sub. I know 4 gauge is over kill, but I have a bunch laying around and want to use it up.

Also, I will need to tap into 12V switched. Do you happen to know if the power wires leading to the Boston amp are 12V switched? I imagine they are but would like to find for sure.

antsjeep 12-21-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound (Post 530163)
thanks! Do you know if it is possible to run 4 AWG down the driver side to under the rear seat? I want to put a power distribution block back there for some seat heaters and a sub. I know 4 gauge is over kill, but I have a bunch laying around and want to use it up.

Also, I will need to tap into 12V switched. Do you happen to know if the power wires leading to the Boston amp are 12V switched? I imagine they are but would like to find for sure.

yes i ran a 4gauge in my truck all the way to the rear cargo area, no problems. Just pop off your kick plates and driver kick panel and your all set.

paroxysym 12-21-2011 06:23 PM

damn, just went on justforjeeps.com and its cancelled by mopar. WTF.

i would still prob upgrade to the kicker speakers..

2005JGC 12-26-2011 04:55 AM

Dont be upset, from what I have heard, for the cost... it wasnt worth it. My parts department was liquidating a 2 sub WK setup about 9 months ago and I wanted it but even my cost was like 400 dollars iirc and the box and amplifier (internal) were so small there was no way I was going to be satisfied with it. for the same money a much MUCH nicer setup can be assembled.

brentwoodkris 12-27-2011 10:20 AM

Yep, get an Alpine Type-R 12" with a sealed box. You won't be disappointed. Picked up mine on Amazon for $130 shipped and built a box for around $50. Picked up a sweet RF D-block for cheap on sonicelectronix.com too. Total $$ still below $400.