Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Is it easy to replace Laredo Headlights with Limited HIDs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/is-it-easy-to-replace-laredo-headlights-with-limited-hids-32123.html)

Frank G 12-06-2011 10:01 AM

Is it easy to replace Laredo Headlights with Limited HIDs

Hello,
I have the chance to grab a set of Front HID's headlight assemblys of a totaled 11 WK Limited Is it simply plug and play to install them in my 11 WK Laredo with standard headlights.

Are there any additional fuses that need to be changed.

Thanks,
Frank G

fljeepleo 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

Re: Is it easy to replace Laredo Headlights with Limited HIDs

Give it a try and let us know!

Chaoul1 12-07-2011 09:46 AM

I don't think it will. You mike have to make a conversion kit.

Badassgrandcherokee 12-07-2011 03:18 PM

if you wanna sell them to me ill see what i can do to be the pioneer!!!!

1200RT-P 12-08-2011 06:54 PM

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/11-limited-hids-on-an-11-laredo-is-it-plug-and-play-32124.html

Badassgrandcherokee 12-09-2011 06:52 AM

this is exactly what i planned.... aftermarket hids with stock housings... now to just get my hands on a set

snowmants 12-10-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badassgrandcherokee (Post 530786)
this is exactly what i planned.... aftermarket hids with stock housings... now to just get my hands on a set

This is probably the only easy way to do it. Not sure the autoleveling will work, but otherwise should work great. Get a set of stock HID GC housings and a set of aftermarket HID Bulbs/ballasts and hook them up. Alot of the aftermarket HID Bulb/balast kits make it pretty easy--they usually include a fuse and everything. Just be sure you get an HID temp between 4000k and 5000k output. I have 5000k in my nissan and they are great. I think 4300k is usually stock.
I have the overland so I have the factory HIDs, but if I had a Laredo I would be trying this mod myself!!!

final 12-11-2011 08:37 PM

Well - I'm new here. I just swapped my Commander for a GC which I only drive in the winter as an extra car when it snows.

I put 2010 Commander HIDs on my 2008 Commander and it worked out great but wasn't a simple project. But I bet it will be nearly identical for the install on the GC.

I already bought a stock pair of GC projector beam HID's and will try to install them this week in my Laredo X.

Here is my step by step summary from the Commander forum. I will post more pictures when I start the project and have some free time.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...7&postcount=50

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...5&postcount=52

final 12-11-2011 09:52 PM

I should get to the project this week

PittLaredo11 12-11-2011 10:41 PM

FWIW, I have a light that I have been playing around with and from what I can see there is no reason as to why this won't work, even with all stock parts (ballast, igniter, bulb). You will just need to get power to the light from a relay or even possibly a Canbus adapter. You will also need to tap into the highbeam wiring and connect it to the shutter solenoid wire so you can have highbeams. If you can get the pigtail that connects to the light it will make it easier to wire in, but if not, you can cut off the plug on the light so you can get to the wiring in the headlight itself. The pink wire in the headlight housing is the power for the ballast and the blue wire is power to the shutter solenoid. Obviously the black wires are ground.

You can also do as others have said and put in an aftermarket kit into the housing. You can even use a D2S setup in the housing, but you will have to figure out a way to keep it in the housing as the D1S and D2S are held in differently. From what I have seen, most just use a screw to keep the bulb in place.

I haven't tested this on the vehicle yet as I only have 1 good light so far and I am waiting until I have both sides to try this. I am also looking into possibly replacing the stock projector with a better one. The Valeo projectors that Jeep used are not really that good of a projector and if I am going to do this I might as well try to get the best possible output I can out of these headlights.

PlatinumSillk 12-26-2011 09:23 PM

Subbing I definitly need some hid's on my new ride

Jeep_addicted 01-24-2012 04:11 PM

I finally got my hands on the damaged bi xenon headlight that I was supposed pick up back in december.

When I get home I will break out the torx driver and remove the the ballast and control module to get a look at the wiring.

THe first thing I have to verify is if I can swap out the DRL with the High beam from the halogen housing.

THe next thing will be trying to determine what wires will fire the ballast and isolate those.

the sidmarker and park/turn lights are straight forward swaps.

The range adjust motors can be manually adjusted to adjust the range so if you get a set of with them in you can leave them in there. Or you can swap out the manual adjuster from the halogen housing.

If I can get my hands on a second ballast then I would not waste my time with any after market ballast and wiring.

my third project with this housing would be to determine how difficult it is to remove the lense, if this can be done relatively easy then I would look into upgrading the projector lenses to smooth clear lense without the fresnel treatment that the stock lenses have.