Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Questions before purchase Need advice ASAP (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/questions-before-purchase-need-advice-asap-32132.html)

Czark9 12-06-2011 12:54 PM

Questions before purchase Need advice ASAP

I have narrrowed it down to 2 JGC:

1. Laredo w/5.7 ORI-1 no tow hitch
2. Laredo w 5.7 Quadralift and tow

My questions are what if I add a hitch and tow w/ veh #1, without the towing package will the engine and trans. suffer heat issues. I will be pulling about a 4K pound trailer. Only occasionally towing, very limited, but live in the mountains.

veh #2 w/ Quadralift, if I want bigger tires or a lift is that out of the question and what is the reliability of the Quadralift?

Thanks in advance

BWoodJeep 12-06-2011 01:19 PM

Re: Questions before purchase Need advice ASAP

Can't lift a quadralift... if you plan on doing that you'll only want vehicle 1. QL has had some issues in certain cars but not enough that I would quite call it unreliable yet, time will tell.

Czark9 12-06-2011 02:25 PM

Is the towing package that much of a necessity? I would like to stay away from the Quadralift if possible and was wondering if adding a tow hitch myself would put to much strain on the transmission without the extra cooling?

bmrisko 12-06-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czark9 (Post 528722)
Is the towing package that much of a necessity? I would like to stay away from the Quadralift if possible and was wondering if adding a tow hitch myself would put to much strain on the transmission without the extra cooling?

It really depends on what you plan on towing. Also, keep in mind, if you want to add the factory hitch, you will need to cut and modify the bumper and add the electronic trailer wiring.

EDIT: Saw you said 4k...I'd definitely want the extra cooling for peace of mind.

Jeeters 12-06-2011 05:40 PM

4K pounds is getting a bit hefty. You're obviously not just pulling a simple 14' fishing boat with oars. I'd want the extra trans cooling for peace of mind. Especially if both hills and summer temperatures are involved.

6t6gto 12-06-2011 06:22 PM

Check the window sticker........Mine had a 6800# rating on the sticker and had no hitch.Seems like towing 4K would not be a problem for the stock drive train.Also installed a class 4 factory hitch on it.......JB.

Lucas J 12-06-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWoodJeep (Post 528669)
Can't lift a quadralift...

This is correct.

KevInSoCal 12-07-2011 12:09 AM

If you're going to be towing, you should seriously consider the factory tow option. It's actually a pretty good deal (at least it was for the 2011s).