Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wheel Spacer question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wheel-spacer-question-32182.html)

letsgomets 12-07-2011 03:09 AM

Wheel Spacer question

Can someone explain what the cons are for installing wheel spacers? I am looking at possibly replacing my crappy 17" laredo wheels with something nicer and want a wider stance. Will this damage anything? Will my chances of something breaking increase if I go moderate offroading? Any advice anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. I dont know a lot (strike that, I dont know squat) about buying wheels (in case you couldnt already tell). :confused:

fljeepleo 12-07-2011 08:29 AM

Re: Wheel Spacer question

You dont need wheel spacers if your getting new wheels,, just get wider wheels. Spacers are for getting a wider stance out of wheels that arent wide enough.

Crestwood1001 12-07-2011 08:54 AM

^actually that's not what spacers are for. Spacers are ment for giving you added clearance around the tires in the case that the tires rub. But a lot of people use them for a better look whcih is stupid because the use of them increases your chance of trouble ten fold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

letsgomets 12-07-2011 01:45 PM

Thanks for your help, Ive seen these spacers all over ebay etc and seen youtube vids on what they do but didnt know much about them. I will do some more searching in the wheels forum about what to look out for. thanks.

Crestwood1001 12-07-2011 01:46 PM

Never, ever, ever touch ebay wheel spacers. Get them from a reputable company. They are dangerous if not quality and installed right. People have been killed

lll2for3lll 12-07-2011 01:52 PM

My cousin had wheel spacer failure on the street, hit a school bus, rolled into a ditch, and burned alive.

He was a mechanic and checked his stuff regularly.

letsgomets 12-07-2011 02:03 PM

so you guys are saying I shouldnt get wheel spacers? Ok ive been scared straight.

lll2for3lll 12-07-2011 02:04 PM

Getting them for looks is non sense.

fljeepleo 12-07-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 529322)
^actually that's not what spacers are for. Spacers are ment for giving you added clearance around the tires in the case that the tires rub. But a lot of people use them for a better look whcih is stupid because the use of them increases your chance of trouble ten fold.

Proper wheels with proper back spacing take care of that. You should not need spacers if you buy the appropriate wheel to match the tires. Spacers are a cheap option if you don't want to buy new wheels. You can fit a 14.5 wide tire without using spacers if you have a wheel with the appropriate back spacing and width.