Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   comp testing - how 2 disable fuel and ignition without setting codes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/comp-testing-how-2-disable-fuel-and-ignition-without-setting-codes-32194.html)

xc8great 12-07-2011 10:44 AM

comp testing - how 2 disable fuel and ignition without setting codes

Hope someone can help out. Want to do compresion test on 2011 GC 5.7 but need to know how to disable fuel and ignition system and dont set code?

TJcust 12-07-2011 10:53 AM

Re: comp testing - how 2 disable fuel and ignition without setting codes

I have no idea, but can I ask why...

xc8great 12-07-2011 11:11 AM

Looong story. But many run issues that dealer along with Chry cust service will do nothing about. I had plugs out and saw wide variation in the way different cylinders were burning (some plugs stark white and others very dark) so want to test further to make sure no internal issues. Don't expect to find anything with comp test but want to verify ok before proceeding further.

TJcust 12-07-2011 04:58 PM

My advice is try to break it, then have it towed to a dealer. If your having problems with the dealer your going to now maybe try another.

Diagnosing problems in new vehicles isn't as simple as a spark/fuel/compression test.

A new vehicle such as yours should have no compression issues unless something went horribly wrong in the break in or assembely process, in which case it will only get worse. Drive the F*** out of her till she breaks :)

xc8great 12-07-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJcust (Post 529704)
My advice is try to break it, then have it towed to a dealer. If your having problems with the dealer your going to now maybe try another.

Diagnosing problems in new vehicles isn't as simple as a spark/fuel/compression test.

A new vehicle such as yours should have no compression issues unless something went horribly wrong in the break in or assembely process, in which case it will only get worse. Drive the F*** out of her till she breaks :)

That is about what I would like to do at times!!!

Understand about the diagnosing however I find some techs today overlook basics and rely solely on their scanners. Even so, I doubt I will see anything on the compression test but its a starting point.

Hopefully there is Chrsy tech on here and can let me know how disable fuel and ign systems without setting codes.

Escape 12-07-2011 08:09 PM

Either turn it by hand or you can crank it with the pedal floored all the way. Flooring the pedal all the way will turn off the injectors, but the plugs will still fire. You can disconnect the coil packs, but I'd imagine that that will throw a ton of codes.

I'd turn it by hand.

xc8great 12-11-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 529852)
Either turn it by hand or you can crank it with the pedal floored all the way. Flooring the pedal all the way will turn off the injectors, but the plugs will still fire. You can disconnect the coil packs, but I'd imagine that that will throw a ton of codes.

I'd turn it by hand.

Anyone?