Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   11 Grand Cherokee Needs Head Replacement? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/11-grand-cherokee-needs-head-replacement-32195.html)

jhale2004 12-07-2011 12:13 PM

11 Grand Cherokee Needs Head Replacement?

Hi guys! I bought my wife a used 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with the new Pentastarwith about 32k on the clock. It has been a headache since day 1. A couple days after delivery the CEL came on so I read the code and it was a cyl 2 misfire. A trip to the dealer and they say it needs a crank position sensor and they replace it. A couple more days the light is back on and the dealer puts all new plugs in the motor. A couple more days and the light is back on and the dealer installs all new coil packs. A coule more days and the light is back on and they put a new injector in. Two more days the lights is back on and back to the dealer I go only to be told that Chrysler told them there is a known flaw with the heads on this new motor and they want to replace the whole head assembly to fix it. We open a case with Chrysler about the whole deal and try to get a rental car, which they did agree but they told us to drive our Jeep for 3 weeks while we wait on the new head and then while the vehicle is down they will provide us a rental. Needless to say I am very dissapointed in this vehicle. It also seems like the car requires too much pedal effort to make it shift from overdrive when going up hills or passing a car sometimes. I found the TSB that was for this and showed it to the dealer but they said it didnt apply because my transmission is not the one listed in the TSB. Does anyone on here have any info on any of these problems or have any suggestions on how to get Chrysler to make sure it is 100% taken care of. I am sick of taking this thing to the dealer.:(

Knightrider03m 12-07-2011 12:22 PM

Re: 11 Grand Cherokee Needs Head Replacement?

Lemon?

jhale2004 12-07-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 529479)
Lemon?

I feel that way. But I also know if something is wrong you start with the basic things first and go from there and they do seem like they are trying to take care of it. If after the head is done and it is not fixed maybe I should start looking at lemon laws?

Uncle Paul 12-07-2011 12:47 PM

Lemon lows usually do not apply to used vehicles with over 30K.

Sounds like the dealer and Chrysler are trying to do the right thing by you and covering it under warranty.

Be happy it showed up while you were still under warranty.

Do not know what else they could do for you after buying a used vehicle.

brandont 12-07-2011 12:54 PM

With 32,000 miles on it surely these problems plagued the previous owner as well. There is no way a defect in the head just suddenly manifested itself now. I'd probably ask about how they acquired the vehicle and ask to see the service history as well. If they sold the car with a known problem that's not good.

jhale2004 12-07-2011 01:04 PM

Later we found out that they did know the light was on at the dealer and they just cleared the code hoping the light would not come back on when they sold it. We are not letting that same dealer work on the vehicle now. I asked the dealer we have been using now if there had been any other warranty work done on the vehicle and the only thing that was done was a computer flash right before we took the car. Chrysler seems to be doing good with us but it is a pain in the neck. They said if it were to happen again after 36k the factory 100k power train warranty will apply to this issue. Thanks goodness! I guess it could be worse...

Knightrider03m 12-07-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul (Post 529500)
Lemon lows usually do not apply to used vehicles with over 30K.

Sounds like the dealer and Chrysler are trying to do the right thing by you and covering it under warranty.

Be happy it showed up while you were still under warranty.

Do not know what else they could do for you after buying a used vehicle.

Whoops, didn't see the "used" part in the story.

lll2for3lll 12-07-2011 01:24 PM

Will this be a future issue with the Pentastar...?

bigpanda 12-07-2011 05:56 PM

I've seen two WK2 with head problem. There was abnormal pressure within cylinder and dealer had to order new heads for both of them.

lll2for3lll 12-07-2011 06:06 PM

Uh oh.

brandont 12-07-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhale2004 (Post 529512)
Later we found out that they did know the light was on at the dealer and they just cleared the code hoping the light would not come back on when they sold it.

If it were me, I would see what a lawyer has to say about that. Sounds to me like they tried to cover up a problem and dump the car. Says a lot about the dealership.

jeepster23 12-07-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 529800)
If it were me, I would see what a lawyer has to say about that. Sounds to me like they tried to cover up a problem and dump the car. Says a lot about the dealership.

Yeah and this is an uncommon practice how?