Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   P0432 Code (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/p0432-code-32196.html)

PeterB16 12-07-2011 12:15 PM

P0432 Code

I got a code this morning.

P0432 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) ; Catalyst 2/1 efficiency below required level.

I have searched and surprisingly no one else has had this happen on this site.

This is the second time I have received this code. Both times I was sitting at the exact same stop light, at approx the same time in the morning on my way into the office.

A little history:
Each time I get the light about a week after I do a seafoam treatment.
Each time I am sitting at idle when light comes on.
Jeep has a rough idle. Changed plugs and oil. 75k miles on odo. 4.7L HO.

Is this a bad cat or bad O2 sensor?
Opinions, thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

01grand 12-07-2011 12:36 PM

Re: P0432 Code

I would check the wires, its possible one is damaged and causing an intermittent signal loss. Otherwise it sounds to me like you have the right ideas, either the O2 sensor is shot or the Cat is no good. Very low mileage for either to go out, but I would suggest replacing the sensor first, easier and cheaper than a new Cat (assuming its not rusted in too bad).

cheapjeep 12-07-2011 01:29 PM

I would check the O2 sensors for sure.That's the problem I have with everybody running Seafoam through their vacuum line. These o2 sensors hate contamination of any kind.You even have to watch what kind of sealant you use. All that concentrated Seafoam at one time burning and running through your exhaust probably is screwing up the sensors. Don't get me wrong I use it all the time just in the oil and gas. I had a plenum gasket go in my work car and it was leaking antifreeze into the combustion chambers. After i fixed it about a few days later the o2 sensors crapped out. Could be a coincidence but I think it was the antifreeze.

PeterB16 12-07-2011 01:31 PM

Ok thanks. I will check out new sensors.
Next time I do seafoam, I will put old sensors in while treatment is being done, then put new sensors in when finished.

Frango100 12-07-2011 03:51 PM

Seafoam through the vacuum line is in fact removing all the carbon buildup in the cilinders and the oil dirt in the inlet duct. All this oily stuff burning away so quickly, is causing a lot of particles which can foul the O2 sensor, but i heard that it can also cause (partly) clogging of the small holes in the Cat.
Cleaning or changing the O2 sensors would be my first action as well.

PeterB16 12-17-2011 09:22 AM

UPDATE:
I took the Jeep to the dealer. I still had a warranty on the catalysts. They replaced the two precats. Much more flow, but I think my third cat, right before the muffler, is a little clogged too. So far, no code.

PeterB16 12-18-2011 05:56 PM

Can an O2 sensor be bad and NOT throw a code? I am still having a rough idle and unless it's me, I think the Jeep is running below its potential.
I wish someone close to me had an HO so I could compare how this thing is supposed to sound/run.
My only other means of comparison is my 4.6 interceptor and it sounds and feels so much more powerful, but the stats show the HO is a more powerful engine than my Ford cruiser.

PeterB16 12-18-2011 07:00 PM

Can O2 be bad without a code?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB16 (Post 536260)
Can an O2 sensor be bad and NOT throw a code? I am still having a rough idle and unless it's me, I think the Jeep is running below its potential.
I wish someone close to me had an HO so I could compare how this thing is supposed to sound/run.
My only other means of comparison is my 4.6 interceptor and it sounds and feels so much more powerful, but the stats show the HO is a more powerful engine than my Ford cruiser.

edit title