Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   buying used.. recommendations? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/buying-used-recommendations-32207.html)

paroxysym 12-07-2011 03:16 PM

buying used.. recommendations?

so im toying with the idea of trading my wk for a wk2. im looking at used vs brand new. why is it the new ones on the lots have almost 20k on them and theyre not even a year old probably. would you recommend buying one with that many miles on them? i saw a 2011 limited with 24.5k on it, must have been one hell of a daily driver. just looking for some insight on buying one used vs maybe buying new... i love the look, love the features. if anything im taking the wk back to stock lol

BWoodJeep 12-07-2011 03:53 PM

Re: buying used.. recommendations?

I had the same debate... and then a dealer came $7,500 off sticker on a new 2011 overland that made it barely more expensive than a 15k mile used Limited that I was going to buy. When I was looking at the used cars I realized that a lot of the used limiteds I found had been used as fleet cars in the past. Whether it was rental or corporate I didn't know but my impression was that a lot of these cars are coming from rental co's.

jeepster23 12-07-2011 06:00 PM

The market is absolutly flooded with 2011 demos, rentals, and fleet cars with 25,000 - 30,000 miles. You can probaly get a great deal on them but they have also probaly been beat on as well.

Play21cw 12-07-2011 06:16 PM

Check out TrueCar.com, I was in the market for a used 2011, there was plenty of inventory around, but all the cars had 25k-30k miles, and they were beat up, scratches, dents etc.. AND they wanted $32,000-$36,000 for these cars.

I went to TrueCar.com and was able to order a brand new 2012 grand cherokee limited for over $4,000 below what Kelly Blue Book says is a "Fair Purchase Price" I did have to travel 50 miles to the dealer who would honor the price, BUT TrueCar lists the dealers and their prices...(I paid $34,800 for my 2012 Limited! - no gimics) I couldnt justify spending 34,000 for a certified used with a lot of miles)

It may be worth the extra 800-1200 bucks over a used to go new. I am so glad i didnt get a used one... And NO i am not a TrueCar.com employee haha, but i love the deal i got, and the fact that i paid so much less than what they dealer paid.

Let us know what you decide & definitely check out truecar.com

ajs800 12-07-2011 07:02 PM

Play21cw - That's a great deal...how is your limited optioned out? Is it 4x4?

yep. I shopped for a used one for 4-6 months and there are a ton of off fleet jeeps out there. I was looking at ones that were owned directly by Jeep, but even t those were too high...with the November incentives/rebates and month end last week, I ended up picking up a v6 overland for $8k off sticker so it was close if not cheaper then half of the preowned overlands/limiteds I checked out.

I even tried to use the new price as leverage on a few used ones and the dealers wouldn't budge. However, even if I could have picked one up a couple thousand cheaper, it wouldn't have been worth it unless it had under 10k miles, IMO.

I looked a few days ago and majority of the preowned overlands are listed higher then what I paid for new.;)

BTW, 99% of the rental fleets are base limiteds with 430n, no tow and standard leather. Typically the overlands & loaded limiteds were corp or jeep owned vehicles.

Play21cw 12-07-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 529810)
Play21cw - That's a great deal...how is your limited optioned out? Is it 4x4?

yep. I shopped for a used one for 4-6 months and there are a ton of off fleet jeeps out there. I was looking at ones that were owned directly by Jeep, but even t those were too high...with the November incentives/rebates and month end last week, I ended up picking up a v6 overland for $8k off sticker so it was close if not cheaper then half of the preowned overlands/limiteds I checked out.

I even tried to use the new price as leverage on a few used ones and the dealers wouldn't budge. However, even if I could have picked one up a couple thousand cheaper, it wouldn't have been worth it unless it had under 10k miles, IMO.

I looked a few days ago and majority of the preowned overlands are listed higher then what I paid for new.;)

BTW, 99% of the rental fleets are base limiteds with 430n, no tow and standard leather. Typically the overlands & loaded limiteds were corp or jeep owned vehicles.

I got the 4x4. Not sure where in the country you are, i am north east, so we generally end up paying more for everything. I am in CT, and if you purchase a used car you pay tax on the full purchase price, where as if you purchase new, you pay tax on the difference between the sale price of the new car and the price on the trade in.

I looked at Audi's, Infiniti's, Mercedies, Volvo's and none of them came near the value for what you get with the 2012 limited Jeep GC.

BTW - I am trading my 2008 Infiniti G35x Sedan in and i will end up saving 130 a month on gas, the infiniti took super gas and got me 17 mpg

ajs800 12-07-2011 08:47 PM

okay, so basically a base limited 4x4? Any limited options? I hear ya...we had an 04 G35 and then a TL...the v6 is really not bad on fuel, especially compared to the Tahoe I traded. I paid $36k for a 2011 Overland with every option but collison/AC pkg, which i thought was really good.

jp467 12-07-2011 11:09 PM

I would buy new unless you really know the history of the one you are buying.

paroxysym 12-08-2011 08:37 AM

alot of them are ONE owner vehicles according to carfax... whats the difference between commercial and fleet/lease?

ajs800 12-08-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 530152)
alot of them are ONE owner vehicles according to carfax... whats the difference between commercial and fleet/lease?

They usually state Fleet or Rental if they were truly rental cars or if there is nothing listed as "owner type" they were usually rentals. I wouldn't be afraid of one listed as "corporate vehicle". Also, the jeep corp/executive vehilces are typically sold at auction and listed as "manufacture vehicle". However, if it's listed as corporate and was traded in, it was probably a private individual that put the vehicle in his/her business name.