Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Leeaking on hill only!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/leeaking-on-hill-only-32210.html)

Zetzsche248 12-07-2011 05:01 PM

Leeaking on hill only!!!

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7-V8 QT-2,today i notice when i parked on a hill my Jeep started leaking Anit-Freeze behind the front passenger side tire right underneath were the plastic tank is,what could cause this?

DrLocke 12-07-2011 05:41 PM

Re: Leeaking on hill only!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetzsche248 (Post 529707)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7-V8 QT-2,today i notice when i parked on a hill my Jeep started leaking Anit-Freeze behind the front passenger side tire right underneath were the plastic tank is,what could cause this?

Check your overflow bottle. I don't understand why it has to be on a hill because the bottle is flat and there should be no difference. Could be a pin size hole.
Good luck.

jacobblack15 12-08-2011 05:56 AM

Hi,

I have a 1995 disco with 250,000km's that leaks oil when parked either facing uphill or downhill. There is no leakage when parked on a level surface.

I have went around and tightened all the bolts on the oil pan ( I noticed one that was quite loose in the front) So while I have it up on the stands are there any other places I should be looking for, for a leak like this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

PeterB16 12-08-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetzsche248 (Post 529707)

If your bottle is full it would leak out of the top of the overflow bottle.
How much is leaking?

DrLocke 12-08-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterB16 (Post 530178)
If your bottle is full it would leak out of the top of the overflow bottle.
How much is leaking?

That's it. Out of the cap. Makes sense now.

Me Fix 12-09-2011 07:00 PM

The question should now be, Why is the overflow bottle full? There are hot and cold marks for fluid levels when the coolant is both hot and cold. If your coolant levels continue to exceed the hot level mark, you may have another issue. Maybe a stuck thermostat or a bad radiator cap which has a check valve built in to allow the coolant to flow back as the engine cools.

Frango100 12-09-2011 08:56 PM

If the bollte is too full, for sure it can leak out when up hill. There is an overflow line at the aft side of the bollte which for some strange reason ends on top of the PCM connectors. If the level is ok, there can be a crack or other damage to the overflow bottle. Thermostat or radiator cap should not cause a high level in the overflow reservoir, as far as i know. A stuck thermostat causes a too high or too low engine temperature and when the radiator cap doesn´t work well, there will be no pressure buildup in the engine cooling system, which could cause a little higher level, but not that much that it will flow out of the reservoir.