Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   ABS light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/abs-light-32213.html)

zecstone 12-07-2011 05:46 PM

ABS light

I have a 2011 overland with its original 20 inch wheels. I switched over to 18 rims with blizzak 265/60/18 at the dealer and they had the ABS light that came on and wouldn't go away. Anybody else experience this?

dlthunder 12-07-2011 05:55 PM

Re: ABS light

ABS light or TPMS? I am just about to switch mine this weekend and I would love to know if this is an issue.

Escape 12-07-2011 08:24 PM

^X2 sounds more like TPMS.

Do your new rims have the correct sensors in them or any sensors?

If it is indeed your ABS check your fuses and look to see if for some insane reason they messed with the wiring near the wheels speed sensors.

Dealers are known for really dumb things.

zecstone 12-07-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlthunder (Post 529751)
ABS light or TPMS? I am just about to switch mine this weekend and I would love to know if this is an issue.

TPMS was fine. Its the ABS light. It was the end of day so they weren't able to finish. The mechanic told me the code he was getting was something like incompatible dimensions

zecstone 12-07-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 529871)
^X2 sounds more like TPMS.

Do your new rims have the correct sensors in them or any sensors?

If it is indeed your ABS check your fuses and look to see if for some insane reason they messed with the wiring near the wheels speed sensors.

Dealers are known for really dumb things.

I bought the rims from a scrapyard. They were original 18s off a Loredo X. The sensors came with the rims

Escape 12-07-2011 10:29 PM

Those Blizzaks have a dia. of 30.5"

Your Overland came with GY Fortera's 265/50/20 and those have the same dia. of 30.5"

Both are stock Jeep sizes.

Check your fuses under the hood. If you have any snow yet go find an empty parking lot and slam those brakes and see if the ABS is working or not.

Either way Blizzaks are excellent winter tires so I'd keep them on.

ColdCase 12-08-2011 10:45 AM

I swapped OEM 20s to OEM 18s with OEM TPMS and OEM size Blizzaks and had no warnings, no issues. I parked the Jeep, removed and replaced wheels one by one. Started up the Jeep and drove off. Tire pressure was reported as the previous value for about 5 minutes and then reset to the new value. That was the only noticeable difference, besides the low speed tire noise.

The ABS sensor or wire may have been damaged.

zecstone 12-08-2011 01:15 PM

So i just got back my jeep from dealer. ABS light is gone and the abs breaks are working cause i tested them on snow. Mechanic told me he had to reprogram the wheel dimensions in order to get rid of abs light?? Im thinking maybe cause i bought them at a scrapyard off a jeep that was in a wreck, although rims were in great condition.

PS. Also told me in spring when i put back my originals he will probably have to reprogram the abs back to how it was