Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   I hate my truck sometimes-- disorganized rant (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/i-hate-my-truck-sometimes-disorganized-rant-32218.html)

CrazyJ 12-07-2011 06:29 PM

I hate my truck sometimes-- disorganized rant

First: I have an overland 4x4 V6 with 8000 miles. I went to the dealer right after I got it to get the ECM/TCM update applied. This helped to some degree, but I'm back to hating it again.

The programming of transmission is simply horrible. It ruined the truck for me. It's never in the gear I need. Did they not test it on hills? Listening to it hunt around through the same gears up a constant gradient is almost comical if I wasn't so infuriated. I feel like putting my fist through the instrument cluster at least on a daily basis. I'm embarrassed to let anyone who knows anything about cars drive it. I always said a good transmission is the most underappreciated aspect of a car, so now I feel pretty stupid for buying a car with the worst transmission I've ever driven.

I thought I'd be able to use the auto-stick. No. Another joke. You can set a max gear with it, but using it for normal shifting won't work. In my other car I use paddles 100% of the time. No chance for that here.

All of that being said, the sport mode redeems it to some degree. I just tried it last week after having just sampled it in the first week of ownership, and wow, I enjoy the car again. The V6 has _plenty_ of pep at normal RPM ranges and is fun to drive in this mode. I didn't like it at first because it holds gears a bit too long. And then there is the annoying amber light for traction control. Oh, and the fact you have to reselect it each time you get in the car. But at least it keeps my blood pressure at bay.

I feel really cheated. This is pure speculation, but I believe Jeep screwed us by softening the transmission for fuel economy. I think they had a solid transmission program (as evidenced by sport mode), yet tried to squeeze another 1 mpg or so by completely botching the normal program. I suppose they figure everyone has finicky feet and doesn't really mean to accelerate when they apply pedal effort. Well, that sucks.

And because they gamed the EPA to get better numbers, I can't beat the fuel economy estimates like I do on my other vehicles. By using a light foot in this car I get 17/23, about 5% above the 16/22 EPA estimates. Using a light foot in my 335i I get 20/30, 14% above the EPA estimates. It matters to me.

Am I alone here?

brandont 12-07-2011 06:42 PM

Re: I hate my truck sometimes-- disorganized rant

Yes and no. I am completely amazed at the MPG my V6 gets, although it did go down a tick when I swapped the Lattitudes for LTXs on. I also feel the transmission isn't very good. 2nd is too tall and it doesn't downshift as quickly as I would like. That said I think it is a learning curve. You have to quit fighting it and learn how to adjust to make it work. I know it shouldn't be that way, but as they say in racing it is a poor driver who blames his equipment. I would have loved the 8 speed, but I wasn't about to buy the 1st year and I couldn't wait 2. So now I have to wait 4! Hah!

lll2for3lll 12-07-2011 06:45 PM

Nope. You're not alone. To a certain extent.

Only difference is that I have a WK. I feel as if the transmission doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. I hate it. That's the only downfall for me though.

Other than that, it's been pretty solid.

I do know that the guys with the 5.7 HEMI's say that after they custom tune the PCM and TCM, it feels like a completely different Jeep.

lll2for3lll 12-07-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 529795)
Yes and no. I am completely amazed at the MPG my V6 gets, although it did go down a tick when I swapped the Lattitudes for LTXs on. I also feel the transmission isn't very good. 2nd is too tall and it doesn't downshift as quickly as I would like. That said I think it is a learning curve. You have to quit fighting it and learn how to adjust to make it work. I know it shouldn't be that way, but as they say in racing it is a poor driver who blames his equipment. I would have loved the 8 speed, but I wasn't about to buy the 1st year and I couldn't wait 2. So now I have to wait 4! Hah!

Wow....I know exactly what you're talking about. I had to learn how much to accelerate, when to accelerate, when not to accelerate, ect ect.

It seems as if when you drive the same route everyday, you tend to figure when it's going to downshift really hard or when it's going to up shift when you don't want it to because you're climbing a hill.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. This was all before the lift and bigger tires.

I do know that it drives a lot better after the 93 tune and other slight engine mods.

I might be crazy but I don't think Chrysler program these things too well.

Gearhead 12-08-2011 07:47 AM

A light foot on the accelerator doesn't work at all for me. I can see why you prefer Sport mode where the generally higher revs make it possible to go easy on the accelerator. I think It was more me adapting to the transmission than the transmission adapting to me but once I got used to how deep into the accelerator I have to go to hold onto a gear and to downshift I was fine. Instinctively I feel like I'm wasting fuel but when I look at the tach I see I'm rarely beyond 2500-3000 RPM with my foot 3/4 to the floor. Also instinctively I feel like I don't have much power in reserve but floor it and the V6 really moves. This is the oddest setup I can remember but I think I have it working for me now. I also used the manual shift for a while but I've moved beyond that stage now. That said I'll be ordering the CRD when it becomes available, assuming I like it when I get chance to take one for a ride. It sounds like the perfect setup for me.

rubicontrail.net 12-08-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyJ (Post 529787)
I thought I'd be able to use the auto-stick. No. Another joke. You can set a max gear with it, but using it for normal shifting won't work. In my other car I use paddles 100% of the time. No chance for that here.

I am thinking this may be the fault of some dealers not being educated about the vehicles they sell. They then pass misinformation on to the consumer.

The non-SRT WK2 is not equipped with "autostick", but instead electronic range select. From the Jeep web site:

Quote:

A gated shifter and Electronic Range Select feature allow the driver to manually select the top transmission gear range.
This feature is useful when descending steep grades, when passing a vehicle, when towing, etc. It however does not mimic a manual transmission.

lll2for3lll 12-08-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net (Post 530161)
I am thinking this may be the fault of some dealers not being educated about the vehicles they sell. They then pass misinformation on to the consumer.

The non-SRT WK2 is not equipped with "autostick", but instead electronic range select. From the Jeep web site:

This feature is useful when descending steep grades, when passing a vehicle, when towing, etc. It however does not mimic a manual transmission.

You are correct. I saw this as well. On my WK, I only use mine to downshift when slowing down on icy/snowy roads.

ajs800 12-08-2011 12:13 PM

I have only had my v6 overland for a week and I know what you're saying, but it doesn't bother me as bad as my 06 limited with the V8. It had a horrible shudder between 3-4, and 4-5. several dealers could never get it right and always told me it was normal.

After 1wk of driving, i have to say that I'm very happy with the 3.6. it's not a speed demon, but it offers enough power and is quiet and smooth.

hammer1234 12-08-2011 02:43 PM

After having the update done, the dead spot in the pedal isn't as bad, but I still get odd shifting behavior. Seems like my 3.6 does not like to use 2nd gear....the GC even upshifts when I'm going uphill.

Even with the strange throttle response I am still satisfied with the 3.6.

armoredsaint 12-08-2011 02:56 PM

OP: I love my 335i M-Sport also, BMW makes awesome cars. Looking to add an SUV to my stable too.

HammFist 12-08-2011 06:03 PM

My 5.7 does not have any of these issues -- torque is good when it comes to moving heavy vehicles without the transmission having an epileptic fit.

Breitling65 12-09-2011 11:44 AM

+1, transmission is worse part of my car too. It jerks on lower speeds, delayed changing gears. Sometimes I could feel bangs while this. I heard some Jeep reprogramming exist, not sure if it helped to anyone. I don't care much since it is leased car, it does job and that is all I need so far.