Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Getting the Push button start installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/getting-the-push-button-start-installed-32221.html)

jdbadcat 12-07-2011 08:12 PM

Getting the Push button start installed

Hello all, I'm new to this site and hopefully posting in the right area.... i have a 1 week old 2012 GC base, base, base, model..... what i want to know is... if there is a way of adding the push button start on my veh? and if so what would be involved to do so?? i do have that big key looking thing with panic, lock and unlock on there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeep2012 12-07-2011 08:14 PM

Re: Getting the Push button start installed

I thought they all came with it. Mine was in a bag with all of the other stuff that came with the truck from the factory. The sales guy asked me if I wanted to install it or if he shoudl install it. Granted, I do have the Limited model.

Tybalt39 12-07-2011 08:19 PM

A test...

Put your smallest finger in the "key" hole. Push. If the engine starts, you have keyless start. Just find the button/hole cover.
I tested this while renting a 2011 Laredo for a week on vacation. Apparently, Alamo removes the push-button. Still waiting for my Overland.

My traveling companion (who drives a Honda Element) "fell in love" with the Laredo. She wants to drive the Overland when it arrives.

jdbadcat 12-07-2011 08:31 PM

so i just tried putting my foot on brake and pushing in with finger and that did not work. Does anyone know if there is a add on module i can get and or if i need to change out my keys? Thanks

mr_bots 12-07-2011 08:37 PM

It's standard on all Grand Cherokees...

GR33N D3M0N 12-07-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bots (Post 529878)
It's standard on all Grand Cherokees...

Its an option on the standard Laredo

jdbadcat 12-07-2011 08:48 PM

guys,,,, I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure if i have been clear..... i have the BASE model GC... there is no button lying around in car dealer said this model does not come with it and if anyone out there knows on how to get one installed the info would be great.....

armoredsaint 12-07-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybalt39 (Post 529864)
A test...

Put your smallest finger in the "key" hole. Push. If the engine starts, you have keyless start. Just find the button/hole cover.
I tested this while renting a 2011 Laredo for a week on vacation. Apparently, Alamo removes the push-button. Still waiting for my Overland.

My traveling companion (who drives a Honda Element) "fell in love" with the Laredo. She wants to drive the Overland when it arrives.

:lol:

RageOfFury 12-07-2011 09:22 PM

I have a 2011 Laredo E and it came with keyless entry/push button start. The button was already in place when I picked her up though.

jdbadcat: Check the glove compartment, central console, spare tire area. If you can't find the button, go back to the dealer and have them give you one!

GR33N D3M0N 12-07-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdbadcat (Post 529889)
guys,,,, I appreciate the help, but I'm not sure if i have been clear..... i have the BASE model GC... there is no button lying around in car dealer said this model does not come with it and if anyone out there knows on how to get one installed the info would be great.....

It'd probably be very expensive to do so
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 529908)
I have a 2011 Laredo E and it came with keyless entry/push button start. The button was already in place when I picked her up though.

jdbadcat: Check the glove compartment, central console, spare tire area. If you can't find the button, go back to the dealer and have them give you one!

It was an option on the Laredo E...the OP has the base Laredo, it does not have the keyless go option

jeep2011 12-07-2011 10:03 PM

On the 2011 models it was standard with keyless go. That was probably something they cut on the 2012's to bring the price down by $3K. The 2011's started at $30K

Jeeters 12-07-2011 10:23 PM

Yeah, I think for 2012, they took a bunch of the standard options from 2011 and moved them to new "E group" package which is $2000. I think you can order a Laredo without the E group, but if you want to add anything, even just one thing, then the E Group suddenly becomes mandatory. Because anything you want to add is either part of the E Group, or is in some secondary group that first requires E Group be added.
They did this in order to say they lowered the base price by a couple grand for 2012. You'll rarely find a Laredo on a dealer's lot that doesn't have the E Group included. A Laredo without the E Group is basically the rental car version.