Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Australian Extended Warranty

19K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  GMWK2 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a new thread for this.

With my car handover (fingers crossed) I'm focusing on investigating if an extended warranty is VFM. From the other thread .. allypally found

"I have just been researching Extended Warranty's and found the following
Some Jeep dealerships offer a 3 year extended warranty upto 175,000klms at no fee, providing you service exclusively with them. Basically, you are locked in to that dealer.
Allianze Insurance offers 2 year extended warranty for $2,743. You can only get that through a broker. It can vary from $4000,- $2,500 depending on the broker's deal.
Swann Insurance offers 2 years for 200,000klms, $2,465. Dont know if they deal direct."

and David Scott found

"I paid $1,830.00 for a Extended Manufacturers Warranty Insurance which appears to be with AG Automotive Global. This is a extra 3 years and 100,000 km in total being 6 years and 200,000 kl."

Interestingly I asked my dealer outlined that the AG's option isn't a "factory approved warranty extension" whatever that means.

From my research I think the only Australian extended warranty for the Jeep GC is through a third party.

I have also found this as a checklist:

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/C...anties/Motor_vehicle_extended_warranties.html

See less See more
#2 ·
My extended factory warranty was all through the Dealer. They were quoting prices similar to what has been mentioned. There wasn't any speak of a third party but I will check what paperwork I have says and let you know ;)

#3 ·
Jeep extended warranty in aus is provided by Swann insurance, part of IAG (NRMA etc) it is identical to factory other than some trim stuff and they are good with claims etc provided you have had the car serviced properly. Must be purchased at time of sale or at end of warranty period normally. (you should get a letter prior to warranty expiry) disclaimer, I did work for them, and jeep, and I will buy an extend warranty!

#4 ·
Whilst waiting for my Vehicle I'm doing some research on extended warranties. Looking at the Jeep "Maximum Care Plus" it outlines:

"unless the Warranty administrator agrees on our behalf, all servicing must be performed buy us."

I thought one reason people preferred this was that it allowed others to services the vehicle outside the normal warranty.

#5 ·
Welcome Hickers, what are u getting ?
Do you have a link or more info on the actual warranties ?
A fair warranty should not have limits or restrictions on who can service it. If it is getting proper care and maintenance as per logbook, it should not matter who services it.
I do not know why it is so hard for Jeep to give me more info on their warranties. I have asked several times.
Still loving our jeep.

#6 ·
My quote is from the Jeep "Maximum Care Plus" warranty Booklet. So this would be the same as the OEM extended warranty; its underwritten by IAG.

I understand Jeep changed the coverage plans early 2011. I cant seem to find an electronic copy anywhere..

#8 ·
I have just called chrysler concerning the extended warranty with a couple of questions. Firstly about the use of another service agent, they outlined when I sign up that this would have to be outlined in the agreement. Also the issue of a after market 2inch lift again this needs to be notated before I sign.

#11 ·
I have scanned some of the sections of the Chrysler warranty.

What is shows is that is defiantly doesn't cover all the items the original warranty covers. Not withstanding the sales pitch I believe the following are excluded:

Wheels & Glass (windows/sun roof?)
Updates to ECU as a result of TSB's **
Rubber pipes
Exhaust **
Suspension (shock absorbers and struts) **
Any costs associated to diagnose a problem even if it is faulty ***

** I find these concerning.

Most likely I'll be still getting this but as I deal in contract law all the time I will be making some amendments to align with the marketing hype and see where I end up.

Attachments

#12 ·
Hi I am picking up a Laredo crd on the 30th of January for our gap year exploring aus. Re the warranty the contract is between jeep and owner and managed by Swann due to legal restrictions on when it can be sold and by who.

May have changed since I left but was pretty good cover, call Swann perhaps for info perhaps if dealers can't help, they may prefer to sell other warranties with more margin

#13 · (Edited)
Heres the information I have just received from Chrysler extended warranty (Swann/IAG):

The extended warranty must be taken out at time of purchase. There use to be an option to purchase whilst in the Manufactures warranty but Chrysler hasn't renewed this option.

At time of purchase you need to obtain a "Dealer Service Waiver" to allow the vehicle to be serviced elsewhere apart from the dealer were purchased.

Transfer of warranty to a new owner isn't an issue if the vehicle has a good service record by a dealer and it is within a 30 day period.

Modifications like a permanent lift (within reasonable limits) isn't an issue, but as expected any failure attributed to this uncovered component isnt covered by warranty.

Going direct to IAG for the same warranty was $3300 vs Dealer option $2465 (probably can do better than this).

#14 ·
Each to their own and some like this insurance and that's why companies sell it.

FWIW I wouldn't give someone $2,500 to hold on to for 3 years before i even have the chance to possibly benefit from it. Isn't the world ending some time this year anyway?

#18 ·
I am now pissed off that Jeep have not bothered to make this information known.
We plan to keep this car for 5 years and wanted the extended warranty. Just because Jeep could not get their shit together when I asked 4times during the sales process.
I also have in writing form the customer service manager that they will get me info.....back in August.
I will now attempt to see if my dealer have any idea about this now and hopefully I can get it. If not I will not be happy and will take it up directly with CJD as they have mucked this up for me.
ZZ thanks for getting all the info. I have always had extended warranties and it has saved me a packet over the years. With all the tech in these things, a ACC sensor would cover the cost of the warranty in one hit.

#20 ·
Well, here's my contribution to the research - contacted our selling dealer with an email question that we wanted information on "genuine Jeep extended warranty"

His reply - quote - "At this point in time, Jeep Australia do not offer a genuine factory warranty extension. The available option we can offer is to extend through Allianz and the costs are as follows.

1. 3 year or 60,000km = $3,119

2. 2 year or 50,000km = $2,867

Regards,"

It seems to me that the warranties on offer will vary by dealer! That's another cause for worry....

I'll keep digging without trying to stir them up too much...

#22 ·
in 2003 jeep offered a genuine jeep extended warranty.
I was contacted by Jeep just before mine expired asking me if I would like to extend it for 2 years $1800.
Appears this does not happen anymore.

#23 ·
Next instalment from an email this morning......
Quote "Yes, the option to extend can be taken up prior to the expiry of the new vehicle warranty."
I've asked for a brochure to be sent so I can compare the Allianz small print with what others have found.
It's a bugger that there isn't just a single Chrysler approved dealer extended warranty package on offer - really difficult to compare apples with apples give the variation in attitude to customer service between dealers that has already become apparent.

#24 ·
many dealers have tied arrangement with either their finance company or another insurance company so they do not allow their staff to offer the "approved" Jeep badged warranty underwritten by Swann (IAG) also margins on the approved product are less. in terms of when you can buy it blame the government. if sold as part of the vehicle sale the seller does not have to be an authorised representative with formal training in offering financial products as the sale is regard as incidental to the purchase, Buy it after the event and the sale is captured by the FSRA and no one wants to be responsible for training dealership salespeople to the required standard given the high staff turnover. just more government red tape restricting your options! ps ordered the ebb bulbar and striker lights today and our first road trio returned 8.9 lives per 100k's, very impressed. Cheers

#27 · (Edited)
#28 ·
Thanks zzkazu

And just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water!!
Now I'm confused again........do I need to go for extended warranty or not!

Our present 06 Nissan Patrol has extended warranty and haven't needed to use it but the main reason for taking it out was some degree of insurance against the 3l motor going bang.
With the totally different level of sophistication and complexity of the WK2 I believed that extended warranty would definitely be the go. Even more so given my concern about the dealer we'll likely end up using for service.
Certainly the reason for my research at this time was to try to find a quality provider with a value for money package.
I'll continue to spend far too much time on the internet - wish our new Jeep was here so I could stop all this messing around. I've got stuff to fit up so we can go and use the thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.