Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Key Fob - Remote Start Distance Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/key-fob-remote-start-distance-issue-32262.html)

AZJGCGirl 12-08-2011 03:05 PM

Key Fob - Remote Start Distance Issue

Hi - This is my very first forum post - I hope all of you knowledgeable people out there can help me out with my question.

I recently purchased a 2011 JGC and I've have had to take it in for service already. The dealership has claimed to have fixed the air suspension issue but the other issue is:
  1. The keyfob during unlock/remote start only works to about 50 feet from the car. The service team ordered new key fobs but they are having the same issue and they can't figure out what the problem is - I've dropped it for service twice already and while they are friendly they are not resolving the issue.
Any thoughts on what could be causing the issue? I've searched the forums and wasn't able to locate anyone experiencing anything similar.

Thanks,

Jess

B.P.O.D 12-08-2011 03:20 PM

Re: Key Fob - Remote Start Distance Issue

try holding the keyfob under your chin while you press the button. your body acts like an antenna:) it works trust me:)

Tybalt39 12-08-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 530399)
try holding the keyfob under your chin while you press the button. your body acts like an antenna:) it works trust me:)

+1
I know it sounds crazy, but I used to install auto alarms: I had many customers show me how this worked for them. Even now, if I have problems "connecting" with my car for keyless entry, I will use this technique.

I realize this is just a "stop-gap" solution, not what you are looking for....

AZJGCGirl 12-08-2011 04:14 PM

Thanks, guys - I'll give it a try! Better to have a "stop-gap" solution then none at all - I appreciate your advice :)

HammFist 12-08-2011 05:58 PM

There is also something wrong, I can start mine from over 100 yards away (from my office building atrium to the parking lot) -- which is as far as I've tested it.

brandont 12-08-2011 06:35 PM

^ Ditto. I can start mine from at LEAST 50 yards away, inside my office, through the thick glass at the main wall. Only problem is I can't see it to confirm it started...

AAAA 12-09-2011 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 530502)
^ Ditto. I can start mine from at LEAST 50 yards away, inside my office, through the thick glass at the main wall. Only problem is I can't see it to confirm it started...

I've done the same and had the same problem! Incidentally, my body is not an antenna. If it was, based on my size, I would be receiving Radio Moscow.:lol:

77Cherokee 12-09-2011 10:38 AM

Actually, it is. Just think about all the radio signals you are absorbing at this very moment. You may very well be getting Moscow. :lol:

WoodyCanuck 12-10-2011 04:35 PM

I would think the dealer should check out the receiver in the vehicle.
Could the battery in the transmitter / fob be low?

I can attest to a remarkable distance for the remote start - 6 stories up in a hotel this past week, started from my hotel room, and was nice and toasty by the time I checked out. ;)

77Cherokee 12-10-2011 07:25 PM

While we're discussing remote start, be aware that the doors do not lock automatically when using remote start. You need to lock the doors with the fob so no one else takes your Jeep. Once the engine is running anyone can take it anywhere without the fob. They will just have to listen to the incessant chime. My wife's '10 Malbu won't start remotely unless you press the lock button first.

PECo 12-10-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

While we're discussing remote start, be aware that the doors do not lock automatically when using remote start.

That's not correct. My doors automatically lock as part of the remote start cycle. Page 31 of the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner's Manual states (in pertinent part):
Quote:

To Enter Remote Start Mode

Press and release the REMOTE START button
on the RKE transmitter twice within five seconds.
The vehicle doors will lock, the parking
lights will flash and the horn will chirp twice (if
programmed). Then, the engine will start and the vehicle
will remain in the Remote Start mode for a 15 minute
cycle. (Emphasis added.)

Clunk 12-10-2011 09:25 PM

Same with my 2011.