Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Quadra-Trac I w/ no Selec-Terrain: Regrets? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/quadra-trac-i-w-no-selec-terrain-regrets-32265.html)

JeepersCreepers 12-08-2011 03:12 PM

Quadra-Trac I w/ no Selec-Terrain: Regrets?

I'm curious to hear from those who have Quadra-Trac I w/ no Selec-Terrain on their WK2s. Do you have any regrets and wish you got Selec-Terrain? Why/why not?

I'm considering buying a WK2 at some point next year, and the price on the base no-frills Laredo 4x4's -- which are equipped with Quadra-Trac I w/ no Selec-Terrain -- would make buying new more attractive to me since its about $2500 less than when equipped with Selec-Terrain.

But I'm wondering if I'd regret not being able to lock the 4WD system to a 50/50 torque split if I were to ever be driving in snowy conditions (I don't plan on doing any off-roading). Is "Auto" mode (what I assume the 4WD system is set to without Selec-Terrain) that much worse than "Snow" mode?

hammer1234 12-08-2011 04:24 PM

Re: Quadra-Trac I w/ no Selec-Terrain: Regrets?

We have the Laredo X with QT1. Have not had enough snow here in NE to tell yet...

JoeSchmoe007 12-08-2011 06:30 PM

I have Laredo X with QT I. Had it during last winter and never had a problem getting around even when there was a lot of snow. Note that this was city driving and I didn't drive during worst conditions much.

I think if you don't do any off-roading or need to drive in DEEP snow you should be fine.

jgc4ever 12-08-2011 07:06 PM

We had snow today and snow while driving home, not much but enough that I used Snow Mode and it was noticibly effective. I highly recommend it. Haven't tried 4low but I know it will be useful after a heavy snow like it was useful with my '05 WK.

Doc71 12-08-2011 07:19 PM

I own a 70th anniversary JGC with QT1 and am anxiously waiting to get it in the snow. I've owned both full time and part time 4WD vehicles and have found that the newer full time (AWD) systems work remarkedly well in snow. I have a 300 ft steep driveway (concrete) so I'm counting on the QT1 to perform. I'll report back after our first substantial snowfall.

dlthunder 12-08-2011 07:46 PM

4low used in heavy snow? Cannot say I have ever used it for snow.

Sparro 12-08-2011 07:52 PM

You can't go very fast in 4Low either. It's not a setting I would think you would want to drive around to much in. I can see setting to 4Low if you were stuck in snow or mud and wanted a little extra to try to get unstuck.

JeepersCreepers 12-08-2011 08:06 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Also just to clarify, in particular, I'm not interested in the 4Lo of QTII, but am mainly curious as to whether the ability to choose between Auto and Snow (thanks to Selec-Terrain) with QTI makes that much of a difference if the roads are snow-covered, or if those without Selec-Terrain wish they had opted for it.

jgc4ever 12-08-2011 09:11 PM

I would only use 4low after a fresh snow of a foot and a half to get from the end of the street and into my garage, not steep though so maybe I could do it without it, but love how 4low just plows right through it and then I don't have to worry about getting stuck at the end of the driveway, especially after the snowplow went by and made a ridge.

dlthunder 12-08-2011 10:16 PM

Got it re: 4lo. Back on topic - select trac just helps make up for lack of experience in the different terrains. It is by no means needed, it is just a nice to have and may help in really bad situations. If you are comfortable in the snow QT1 should be fine.

wynnrs 12-08-2011 10:29 PM

I have the no regrets except that I like cool dials. Driven in deep snow, nasty mud, and soft sand with quad 1. I lower tire pressure on the sand and the Jeep moves just fine.

Jeep_addicted 12-09-2011 09:21 AM

The different modes primarily only change the level of traction control interence and throttle response helping people that are unfamilar or unsure whether to turn off that traction control and gun it to get up that slippery grade or to leave it on and crawl up slowly.

It is still good to inform yourself what are the best practices for certain driving conditions so you don't get yourself into trouble in the first place.

In many cases sand is the most difficult surface to read and also the most deceptive. If you are moving you may be fine but if you stop you may sink and become stuck.