Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Squeaky WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/squeaky-wj-32327.html)

janisonh 12-09-2011 07:53 PM

Squeaky WJ

Okay guy, I need your help. I hope that I am not driving y'all too crazy with all of these questions. I can hear a squeak when driving that seems to start around 15mph. It seems to be coming from the left front wheel. When turning left while driving, the squeak seems to get very quiet. While going straight and turning right, it seems to squeak loudly. It seems higher pitched than the average wheel bearing. Please help me locate and fix this, it is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

Frango100 12-09-2011 10:05 PM

Re: Squeaky WJ

Noises can be very difficult to solve. You say that it seems to be coming from the left front wheel, so is the frequency of the sound equally going up or down with the speed of the car? Or does it more follow the engine speed? If it seems to be speed related, i would jack up the left front wheel and see if there is anything abnormal to see or to hear when truning the wheel.

janisonh 12-10-2011 07:46 AM

Okay. I will try to do that later. It doesn't necessarily seem to get louder with speed and it's odd that it is louder when turning right or straight, rather than left. Any other ideas?

StoneCold 12-10-2011 08:22 AM

There's maybe some crud around the brake area. Happened to me and drove me nuts!!

Took it all apart, cleaned it up and voila - gone!

cheapjeep 12-10-2011 11:58 AM

Check your front pads. It could be your pads are worn and the wear indicator is against the rotor.

janisonh 12-10-2011 01:43 PM

I just had a complete brake job done (2 weeks ago) and it seems to have just started since the new brakes. What should I try doing? Now that y'all mentioned it, it does sound higher pitched such as a brake squeak.

Frango100 12-10-2011 03:30 PM

Just check if the pads are mounted correctly and if no strange object is stuck between the disc and the dust cover.

janisonh 12-10-2011 04:48 PM

If it was the bearing/hub assembly, what kind of noise would it make and what other way can that be diagnosed as a bad bearing? I am afraid that I may have more than one problem here- the pads and a bearing on the way out.

StoneCold 12-10-2011 05:46 PM

I have a front bearing on its way out. New one is sitting in my workshop.

Mine makes a kind of grinding sound in the cabin but there's nothing audible from the outside.

Usually a bad bearing will result in a rumbling sound that gets louder as you speed up, plus there will be some play in the wheel ie it will wobble