Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Weld on shackles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/weld-on-shackles-32355.html)

wkthursty 12-10-2011 01:20 PM

Weld on shackles

I was surfing ebay spit balling outa bordem and came across these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basic-weld-s...item5890ad567e has anyone used these or tried. If so tell me about where you welded them and how stable they are. I can easily make these at school after I plasma them at work.

Crestwood1001 12-11-2011 12:53 AM

Re: Weld on shackles

Lol come on now, if you gonna do it do it right, get the saguaro mounts, you can get them without the shackles for around 110$

wkthursty 12-12-2011 12:04 AM

what is your deal man. this is a mod site/ thread your in. if your so against personal modification then look and dont say anything. Just for your personal information i am a machinist with capabilities of a machine shop that allow me to create my own if possible. if i can not afford the parts and i can build it then ill take the challenge. supporting companies are a great thing because i happen to work for a small business shop so i agree with you. are you just so against me here or what. I see jayloop looking to build a skid plate whinch combo and i dont see you riding him about going out and buying an ARB or a Saguaro bumper that has all those capable opitions he wants. just to clarify its getting old.

nwb300 12-12-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkthursty (Post 532237)
what is your deal man. this is a mod site/ thread your in. if your so against personal modification then look and dont say anything. Just for your personal information i am a machinist with capabilities of a machine shop that allow me to create my own if possible. if i can not afford the parts and i can build it then ill take the challenge. supporting companies are a great thing because i happen to work for a small business shop so i agree with you. are you just so against me here or what. I see jayloop looking to build a skid plate whinch combo and i dont see you riding him about going out and buying an ARB or a Saguaro bumper that has all those capable opitions he wants. just to clarify its getting old.

AMEN!!! Wish I had the tools to make me some for my WJ. They want $175 for a shackle kit for my jeep. If u do end up making them post some pics. Would like to see how they turned out.

Crestwood1001 12-12-2011 09:30 AM

I'm simply saying if your gonna do it do it right, I wouldn't trust the strength of a welded on mount. Ill take the proper shackle anyday.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

wkthursty 12-12-2011 01:38 PM

well thats preference over intuition. Its not like im bankrupting these companies. I ahve all the capabilities to make these just like the skid plate. did you post up on jayloops thread about his skid plate whinch combo??

Crestwood1001 12-12-2011 01:50 PM

No I didn't cause noone sells a skid plate winch combo, and I like jayloop

jeff05wk 12-12-2011 01:59 PM

Doesn't the Saguaro front bumper have winch, shackles, and skid plate?

BlackedOutWK 12-12-2011 02:16 PM

i say go for it, i love seeing what people can come up with. plus custom made is always cooler than anything that can be bought. after all that's what we are all about on here...custom jeeps that are "our own"...

maxst2 12-12-2011 02:38 PM

Do it!

If you can why not?

Also, welded > bolt on if the welder knows how to weld (which im going to guess he just might know how) haha

jayloop 12-12-2011 03:33 PM

I'm a fan of doing what fits your vehicle, goals, and budget. The result will be different for everyone. There are great products out there, but those products are the result of someone's own fabrication and trial and error.
As far as bolt on vs. welds I believe there are welds in the saguaro shackle mounts. If I trusted that the welds were done correctly I personally wouldn't have an issue using weld on components.

Regarding the saguaro bumper, it weighs 135 lbs without the winch and costs n the neighborhood of 1300 also without the winch. I'd rather Try my own thing out.

I'm not taking sides on this one, just pointing out that different options work best for different people.

2005JGC 12-12-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 532356)
I'm simply saying if your gonna do it do it right, I wouldn't trust the strength of a welded on mount. Ill take the proper shackle anyday.

A proper weld will be stronger than any bolt. I have watched a man weld a ripper from a D9 dozer that was broken in half while a man was turning while ripping permafrost, I never saw it break while the dozer was there after that.