Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f137/)
-   -   Do not own a SRT8 Yet-live in the Northeast with snow and ice -Tire options? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f137/do-not-own-a-srt8-yet-live-in-the-northeast-with-snow-and-ice-tire-options-32376.html)

oldgeezer 12-10-2011 10:41 PM

Do not own a SRT8 Yet-live in the Northeast with snow and ice -Tire options?

If I were to purchase a SRT8, I would want to be able to drive in the snow at least. I live in Eastern Northwest Massachusetts and snow can be a "BiTCH". If I were to purchase a Srt8, what are my reasonable options without breaking the bank? Possibility of snow tires on the original SRT rims or is that a bad idea? Bite the bullet and buy other rims and tires? If so, what is recommended and how much $$$$$$$? Trying to do this on a budget if possible. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Man, I love the SRT8.

Scottina06 12-10-2011 11:31 PM

Re: Do not own a SRT8 Yet-live in the Northeast with snow and ice -Tire options?

Blizzaks if they come in that size

MikeSRT8 12-13-2011 10:53 AM

The SRT8 is a snow BEAST with Blizzaks. Search YouTube and you should see a recent vid of a black one climbing a steep hill with about 18" of fresh snow no problem. Only issue is the front bumper is low so it's effectively a snow plow.

Tirerack has stock sizes but don't ruin the sweet OEM wheels. Either get factory reproductions in stock size or Tirerack has a nice 18" tire/wheel package which is what I have. Sport Edition F10's with Blizzak DM-V1's (255-55-18 which is same overall diameter as stock just a beefier sidewall). Package is about $1500 shipped mount, balanced and including TPMS sensors.

There's a huge winter wheel thread on cherokeesrt8 you should check out.

Black Ops Auto Works 12-13-2011 11:11 AM

Re: Do not own a SRT8 Yet-live in the Northeast with snow and ice -Tire options?

I live up in Mass too Geezer and never had a problem I wouldn't let some snow stop you from a purchase. The way this year is going it's starting to look like we are gonna dodge the snow LOl.
If you need any help feel free to PM or email me what ever it is you have questions or need help with cool?

philthyphil 12-13-2011 03:23 PM

There are tons of options for snow tires on the jeep. As stated above you can get the 18" package from Tire rack, 20x9 replicas with 265/50, 275/45 or 275/40 or you can put a set of 275/40 or 45 on the stock wheels.

I run 265/50/20's on 20x9 replicas and have about 8 inches of ground clearance under the front bumper since the tires are 1.5" taller than stock. The package ended up costing me about $2k. Well worth it if you get tons of snow, I had my truck in about 10" of fresh snow last year with no problems.

Escape 12-13-2011 10:23 PM

Blizzaks! Nothing else needs to even be considered!

philthyphil 12-15-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 533611)
Blizzaks! Nothing else needs to even be considered!

What about Nokians? That's what I run and they are considered the "best" snow tire available.

Studded tires FTW!

Escape 12-15-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philthyphil (Post 534583)
What about Nokians? That's what I run and they are considered the "best" snow tire available.

Studded tires FTW!

Those are excellent studded tires! :thumbsup: But some states do not allow studded tires on their roads.

oldgeezer 12-15-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSRT8 (Post 533127)
The SRT8 is a snow BEAST with Blizzaks. Search YouTube and you should see a recent vid of a black one climbing a steep hill with about 18" of fresh snow no problem. Only issue is the front bumper is low so it's effectively a snow plow.

Tirerack has stock sizes but don't ruin the sweet OEM wheels. Either get factory reproductions in stock size or Tirerack has a nice 18" tire/wheel package which is what I have. Sport Edition F10's with Blizzak DM-V1's (255-55-18 which is same overall diameter as stock just a beefier sidewall). Package is about $1500 shipped mount, balanced and including TPMS sensors.

There's a huge winter wheel thread on cherokeesrt8 you should check out.

You bring up a great point of not ruining the original stock OEM rims.
"Tirerack has stock sizes but don't ruin the sweet OEM wheels". If funds $$$$ are an issue, what steps can be applied to "protect" the OEM rims if required? Interested in replies. Thanks.

Scottina06 12-15-2011 05:32 PM

Get factory reproduction replicas. They are having a.winter special right now in the vendors forums

sent from my HTC EVO

oldgeezer 12-15-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Ops Auto Works (Post 533138)
I live up in Mass too Geezer and never had a problem I wouldn't let some snow stop you from a purchase. The way this year is going it's starting to look like we are gonna dodge the snow LOl.
If you need any help feel free to PM or email me what ever it is you have questions or need help with cool?

Snow never stopped my winter activities at all. Snowmobile with a 700 triple Yamaha Viper, but am concerned if my wife needs to drive an Srt8 in inclement weather. She is 63 and I am nearing 66 with no fear. Just trying to do the sensible thing-is that really possible-LOL. Thanks for your offer of help. Appreciate your taking the time. Happy holidays to you and your family!!!!

philthyphil 12-15-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 534744)
Those are excellent studded tires! :thumbsup: But some states do not allow studded tires on their roads.

They also have a non studded version, however Nokians are quite a bit pricier than Blizzacks.