Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Replacing Axle Shaft and Wheel Bearing Hub (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/replacing-axle-shaft-and-wheel-bearing-hub-32377.html)

janisonh 12-10-2011 10:54 PM

Replacing Axle Shaft and Wheel Bearing Hub

I am back, guys, and I have another question. I am looking to replace my front axle shafts, boots, and front wheel bearing hub assemblies. Does anybody have any tips at how to tackle this? I am clueless and would enjoy any help- step by step direction would be even better. Hopefully someone has done this recently. Thanks in advanced.:lol:

StoneCold 12-11-2011 02:40 AM

Re: Replacing Axle Shaft and Wheel Bearing Hub

The hub is straight forward enough. You need to remove the hub nut and cotter pin. The hub nut can be on very tight! There's a washer behind the nut, that obviously needs to come off too. The hub itself is held on with three bolts if I recall correctly. Undo the bolts and whack the hub until it loosens off. Clean everything up and fit the new one.

There is a good video tutorial on YouTube (type in Grand Cherokee wheel hub) and there's a two part video that will be at the top of the list.:thumbsup:

janisonh 12-11-2011 06:42 AM

Thanks for the help on the hub, do you have any idea of where to start as far as the CV front axle shafts and boots?

JeepMe 12-11-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 531835)
The hub is straight forward enough. You need to remove the hub nut and cotter pin. The hub nut can be on very tight! There's a washer behind the nut, that obviously needs to come off too. The hub itself is held on with three bolts if I recall correctly. Undo the bolts and whack the hub until it loosens off. Clean everything up and fit the new one.

There is a good video tutorial on YouTube (type in Grand Cherokee wheel hub) and there's a two part video that will be at the top of the list.:thumbsup:

Just some tips to add:

The hub nut can be a pain if you are trying to do it yourself. If you are by yourself, make sure you remove the wheel center cap and loosen the nut before you jack up the vehicle. If you have someone who can give you a hand for 30 seconds, have them step on the brakes while you loosen it (after you have the vehicle jacked up and wheel off).

Depending on the location of the Jeep, the hub could very well be rusted onto the steering knuckle. On my Jeep, no amount of hitting w/ a hammer would break it free. I had to get my 3 jaw puller and pull it off.

If the bolts are all nasty (they most likely will), I would recommend one of two things. One, get a die and run it down the threads to clean them off. Option 2, buy new bolts that will go in easy. When I did mine I put the first bolt back in w/out cleaning it and it was a huge PITA. I cleaned them up and it went in much easier.

I've never done the CV or boots. But once the hub is off, they are right there. I would imagine that the axle will slide right out once the hub assembly is off.

bkr_brad 12-15-2011 04:34 AM

Just replaced both my front axles a few days ago. What a pain, you may want to try soaking the bolts in some penetrating oil before or get a hammer and/or cheater bar. The nut for the axles is a 36mm. As stated make sure you loosen it before jacking the vehicle and removing the wheel. There are three 13mm twelve point bolts that hold the hub on. You will also need to remove the brake caliper and rotor. The caliper is held on with two 18mm bolts. Once everything is unbolted you will need to get the hubs off before removing the axles. Mine were somewhat rusted into place so I beat on it with a hammer to loosen it up. After hub is off simply pull the axle straight out and put the new one in. You'll feel the splines seat as you push it back in. If they don't try lifting the shaft a bit as you push it in. Bolt everything back together and your good to go. I believe the axle nut needs to be torqued to around 200ft/lbs but not sure. Hope this helps.

Me Fix 12-15-2011 11:28 AM

This might help ya as it is from another thread concerning the same issue. I added in the bolt and thread sizes so if anyone wants to buy new bolts or a die to clean up your old bolt threads. The main nut, half shaft nut or whatever some might want to call it is 36MM and the torq. specs call for 240 foot pounds and then find the right position for the keeper nut to work with a cotter pin. The puller I used worked great, but remember if you get one, you are working with a 5 inch bolt pattern.

I just finished replacing the front hubs on my 04 Overland. The three holding bolts everyone talks about are hardened bolts, have small heads that take a 12 point 13mm socket and are 12mm X 1.75 X 80mm. The small head allows room to get a socket on the head, so if you are buying new bolts, keep that in mind. I purchased new bolts and also got a metric 12mm X 1.75 die which I used to clean up the threads so I could reuse the old bolts. That worked, so I will now take back the new bolts I didn’t use.
The original holding bolts are about a in too long which means that the ends can and do rust making them very hard to remove. That’s the problem everyone talks about!
I used anti-seize compound on everything so it would be easier to get things apart next time. CV joints don’t last forever either!
Also, I used the AutoZone purchase/return plan to facilitate a hub puller. However, their suggested puller did not fit a 5 in bolt pattern. We had to use the push bolt from one puller kit to work with another puller. So make sure you get what you need before getting started!
Hope that helps anyone thinking about wheel bearing hub replacement.

Sincerely

JeepMe 12-16-2011 11:32 AM

Also, when I reinstalled my hub assembly I put grease where it goes into the steering knuckle. Hopefully that will prevent any rusting if I ever have to remove it again (hopefully not).