Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   is this Normal? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/is-this-normal-32403.html)

Blueflame1979 12-11-2011 03:37 PM

is this Normal?

3 Attachment(s)
I'm currently keeping an eye on all fluids when I noticed two lines and a hose that were soaked up in moisture. After I drove my Jeep from work I checked under the hood and saw the two lines and hose were wet. They are located on the front passengr side next to the Fan/radiator somewhere under the condenser. The hose I believe is called the lower radiator hose. It's hard to tell what kind of fluid it is cause the lines are covered in dirt and it seems like a lot of moisture, so I thought maybe these lines run coolant to the radiator. A couple of hours later I noticed that the coolant resovoir was much lower than what I had intially left it this morning. I drove it for a few to see if it kept leaking coolant and when I stopped after a few minutes there was more coolant in the resovoir than there was initially but less than a couple of hours ago. I did notice that the resovoir was bubbling when I turned the car on so maybe the coolant was somewhere else and hadntinto settled back into the resovoir. Here are some pics two lines and the hose That I found wet.

4.whoa 12-12-2011 07:47 AM

Re: is this Normal?

It's either steering or trans fliud lines.Does it drip? if it does one of them should be low.

05wkguy 12-12-2011 11:29 AM

Those are your transmission cooler lines. It's a VERY common problem and you can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars to repair. Keep an eye on your transmisison fluid level until then. You'll notice the trans shifting "funny" if it gets low.

2005JGC 12-12-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wkguy (Post 532406)
Those are your transmission cooler lines. It's a VERY common problem and you can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars to repair. Keep an eye on your transmisison fluid level until then. You'll notice the trans shifting "funny" if it gets low.

What he said... Super common, I am currently working on mustering up the motivation to fix mine.

Blueflame1979 12-13-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 532334)
It's either steering or trans fliud lines.Does it drip? if it does one of them should be low.

That's the thing its not dripping it just looks like its soaked I've checked the trans fluid.and all other fluid and everything looks like its at the level it should be.

4.whoa 12-13-2011 01:19 PM

^thats good(well better anyway), it means its only seeping. But like they said,its unfortunately common. You might be able to find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses build you some,or even put new hoses on your fittings,cheaper then oem stuff. I've done that on my mj.

Blueflame1979 12-13-2011 06:16 PM

Actually I looked under the Jeep I saw a drip collecting on the the bottom of the lower radiator hose. It's definately sometype of oil but it looks Brown. So I went ahead and checked all the fluid levels and I still don't see any change. I thought it might have been motor oil or clear oil like the power steering fluid with dirt collected on it which makes it look brown, up to this point all fluids are good.

Laredo2006 05-14-2013 11:09 PM

That's exactly my problem, seeping transmission cooler lines, last year I had the dealer repair a leaking tranny gasket and tranny fluid flush, the gasket leak and cooler lines can't be connected or the same issue right? I wonder how urgent seeping cooler lines are? I will wipe them and see how fast they soak up again. Any advice?

rejekted rekoning 05-15-2013 07:50 AM

mine are the same way. i'm sorta wondering if the lines are slightly porous, causing small amounts of fluid to seep through. also gonna clean mine up and see how long it takes to get grungy again.

jeepgcoman 05-15-2013 09:10 AM

As said above, this is a very common problem. Mine were seeping when I bought it a little over 3 1/2 years ago. I just kept an eye on it and looked for any spots on the floor. After about 3 years I finally fixed them. Many just cut out the bad hose and replace with a good oil resistent hose. Some replace with new factory replacements (most expensive option), but I removed mine, took them to the local hydraulic hose builder and had them swage new hoses onto the existing lines. Total cost was less than $20, but the labor (my son and I did the job) would have cost the most, if done by a shop. They're a PITA to remove and reinstall. R and R took about 3-4 hours.

Laredo2006 05-15-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rejekted rekoning (Post 823273)
mine are the same way. i'm sorta wondering if the lines are slightly porous, causing small amounts of fluid to seep through. also gonna clean mine up and see how long it takes to get grungy again.

Nice, I'll do the same on my end.

Laredo2006 05-15-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 823312)
Many just cut out the bad hose and replace with a good oil resistent hose. Some replace with new factory replacements (most expensive option),

Hi, how much time do you think it would take for an experienced mechanic to replace/do this job? Thx