Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   No Idea. Any Thoughts? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/no-idea-any-thoughts-32440.html)

swing4terps 12-12-2011 10:21 AM

No Idea. Any Thoughts?

Recently I've been hearing a thud/knock/bump that I've noticed happens when:
  • I quickly decelerate, just before coming to a stop.
  • I am stopped on flat ground or a decline and I let off the brake for a second then apply it again. Doesn't happen on inclines.
It is not tremendously loud, but loud enough that I can hear it with the radio at a normal volume. I can also feel it when my arm is sitting on the center console.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

05wkguy 12-12-2011 10:54 AM

Re: No Idea. Any Thoughts?

Sounds like a u-joint in either your front or rear driveshaft,all the symptoms match that issue. Most likely your front. Shouldn't be terribley expensive to fix.

swing4terps 12-12-2011 11:34 AM

Would squeeking also be a symptom of this? I've been getting that lately too. I assumed it was my brakes, but I had my car at the dealer for a Tranny Fluid Change a month ago and they said my brakes were in good shape.

05wkguy 12-12-2011 11:41 AM

Yes it would.(worn u-joints will dry out quickly and with no grease in them they squeak)

swing4terps 12-12-2011 11:57 AM

Thanks.

Well from what I've been reading you can't just replace the U-Joints. Need a new driveshaft.

If this is what it is, and I'm reading things correctly, I'm not a happy camper.

05wkguy 12-12-2011 12:38 PM

I've been lucky and haven't had to replace any u-joints on mine so i can't say for sure if that's the case.

2005JGC 12-12-2011 02:34 PM

Where on the vehicle is the noise coming from? there are hundreds of things that could cause these types of noises, especially on the interwebz, you gotta be as specific as possible for any hope of decent help.

swing4terps 12-12-2011 02:42 PM

To be honest, I can't really tell. I know I can feel it in the armrest, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's something right below there. I guess if something was bad enough, the sound/thud could move from front to back or vice-versa. I'm always driving when I hear it, haven't tried to have someone replicate while I'm outside.

It's situations like this when I'm completely clueless that make me want to tell myself, "If it was a real problem, the car would be undriveable" and just forget about it.

It's funny how when you spend a lot of time reading about everyone else's problems, you tend to notice a lot more of your own. If I didn't frequent this forum, I probably would care less if I had the problem I am describing. Damn JG haha.

2005JGC 12-12-2011 03:13 PM

ha ha... thats awesome

I know a 2-1 downshift bump is pretty normal and for myself it was much more noticable before I overhauled my rear end when it was really singing dependant on load, when I would decel it was quiet then it would bump into first and would get all noisy for a moment. Honestly that memory is funny because I cannot remember the last time I noticed this bump I just remember dealing with that after assembling my jeep after buying it needing ALOT of work.

I would continue monitoring it, if you notice it getting worse I would get it checked out for sure, honestly there are alot of parts that can wear and cause some drivetrain slack that can lead to clunks and bumps, if you were to stack a little slack in 4 different parts it adds up to a decent bump, not meaning that anything is about to explode at all, some wear is normal.

swing4terps 11-14-2012 11:03 AM

Bumping this in hopes of some more suggestions.

Need new tires for the Jeep but don't want to throw $600+ into tires until I fix this problem which has been getting worse. If it's going to be an expensive fix I may sell the Jeep and will be glad I didn't get new tires.

I've already mentioned the symptoms. If I come to a stop, and then let off the brakes, then quickly brake again, I get get it to bang just about every time. To me it sounds like something that is supposed to be stable is moving forward and colliding with something else when forward motion is haulted. Sometimes it produces a rather large jolt. I will add that it seems to happen just prior to coming to a complete stop, as opposed to the onset of braking.

This past weekend I got under there and shook some things (tcase, front diff, transmission) but nothing appeared to be loose.

U-Joint was mentioned previously? Where is that located? What does it look like?

bill_de 11-14-2012 11:15 AM

As mentioned earlier, it's hard to get an accurate diagnosis for a clunk or a bump or a bang on the internet.

Considering it is getting worse, it might be time to have a qualified mechanic look at it. Otherwise a simple repair could turn into an expensive one.