Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Shifter starnge problem! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/shifter-starnge-problem-32489.html)

Angelo cherokee 12-13-2011 02:10 AM

Shifter starnge problem!

Hi all,

I got the Jeep Grand Cherokee Over Land V8 Hemi 5.7liter engine.

It seems when I shift from "D" to "N" the shift is rough and it makes a noise like "Click" Little loud.

Is this normal?

Cause when i took my car back to the dealer they said most American Cars are like that. To be honest this the first American Car I own and I like it very much, but the gear things is really strange.

Aussie in UAE 12-13-2011 03:17 AM

Re: Shifter starnge problem!

I have the same model and it is doing the same thing.
It has been back to the dealer just last week and they "flashed" the software but it did not fix the issue.
The dealer claims that there is nothing wrong with the transmission and that the noise will not do any damage. Many owners are experiencing this, so it's not just you. Until Jeep come up with a software solution it seems we are stuck with the clunky shift.
It is very annoying and we should not be putting up with this. I have a 14 year old car that has a smoother shift and has no noise when changing from d/n/r. A new car should not be this way.:(

JoePistone 12-13-2011 03:46 AM

Hmm I've just had her for 2 days now but I haven't noticed this problem(at least not that I've noticed). Aussie, I live in Kuwait and I assume we're getting our JGCs from Dubai, so i would have expected to be in the same boat as you. Keep me posted, I'll pay more attention to it today on my drive home from work and update you guys, though I haven't noticed any clicks yet.

Aussie in UAE 12-13-2011 10:12 PM

Hey Joe,

For the first 1500km my car was perfect. I have 4 issues (1 fixed) with the car that I should not be experiencing and I wont start a new thread on them here.
When I test drove (about 2 hours in total) there were no issues at all with the demo-car.
Maybe I just got a lemon but I have seen the posts relating mainly to the transmission and mine them. (shifter, hesitation, vibration between 80-110km)

What gets up my nose is the fact that the dealers know about this before they sell it to you.

But saying all that, the problems that I have are more annoying than troublesome. The car has not missed a beat and performs well up the dunes with the 20' street tires. Can't wait for the 18'/off road tire set that I have coming from the states.:thumbsup:

JoePistone 12-13-2011 10:34 PM

I'll keep my eye out for problems after I run some more mileage on her. One weird thing I did notice was the dealer didn't fill my tires with air correctly. Thankfully I noticed it even though the TIre pressure sensor didn't go off.

Yeah I heard most issues that do end up coming up are more annoying than anything! Enjoy dune bashing in those 18s!!!

1200RT-P 12-13-2011 11:22 PM

Rough shifts P-R-D shifts are not unheard of, and semi well documented on this forum. No mention of that click thought, i dont think.

jgc4ever 12-15-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 533657)
Rough shifts P-R-D shifts are not unheard of, and semi well documented on this forum. No mention of that click thought, i dont think.

I noticed this tonight for only the second time in two months of ownership. I'm guessing it happens every time but I just usually don't notice.

JoePistone 12-15-2011 01:30 AM

I've noticed it when I shift into park. Though it's very subtle.

After reading this post I've been paying super close attention. I thought I heard it so I tried several times shifting into park and to my surprise. There it was.

I'm not too bothered about it though, it was very subtle and to my understanding not an issue to worry about (with regards to the cars reliability) No one who has sat in my car has noticed it (even with music off). So I think it's not too bad of a problem.

I hope it stays this way though and doesn't get any louder.