Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Tick, Tick, Tick Sound (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/tick-tick-tick-sound-32492.html)

J1Jeep 12-13-2011 07:13 AM

Tick, Tick, Tick Sound

I have a 2004 JGC that every once in a while has rather loud ticking sound that seems to be coming from under the passenger side dash board. It goes on for a good 20 seconds before it stops. Most times it's just after turning off the ignition, like pulling in for gas, but once it happened on start up. Does anyone have any idea of what it might be? Thanks!

Frango100 12-13-2011 08:09 AM

Re: Tick, Tick, Tick Sound

Under the passenger side dash sits the HVAC housing with the blend door(s). Its normal that you can hear them closing after switching ignition off, but iwont call it a tick tick sound. This, by the way, only happens with the automatic zone control system.

J1Jeep 12-13-2011 04:18 PM

Yes I do have the automatic climate control system. This is not a once or twice tick. It ticks like a loud clock 20 times or so like something electrical is trying to reset. So far there has been no ill effects, just ticking!

Frango100 12-13-2011 05:18 PM

You could try to pull fuse 20 (10A) on the junction block and see if the noise is still there at the next ignition off. This fuse is for the airco control.
Your airco heating and cooling is working ok? It could be that one of the blend doors connections with the actuator is partly broken, causing the actuator to continue turning and causing the sound. You should have a fault code set during the airco selftest in that case.

J1Jeep 12-14-2011 07:41 AM

Yes, the heat and A/C work (as far as I can tell for the A/C it's of chilly outside) but no heat on the passenger side dash vents, but OK everywhere else. I haven't had a chance to look for fault codes yet. Thanks for the info I'll post if I find something.

Frango100 12-14-2011 08:59 AM

No heat from the passenger side vents looks as a blend door problem. There is a good change that you will find code 56, " Right temperature door travel too large".
If the door is broken or the connection between the door and actuator is cracked, the actuator will not have an endstop and continues turning for a while, making the ticking sound when the actuator notch falls back in the door receptacle.
Not a good deal, because the whole dash has to be taken of to change the doors. There is a quick repair available, which can be done through the glove box, but then you will end up with a single temperature control only.

J1Jeep 12-20-2011 03:37 PM

Thanks Frango100, I will keep at it. Do you think there would be any more damage if I let this go for now? I will try and address the problem in a few weeks.

Amelie 12-20-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J1Jeep (Post 537389)
Thanks Frango100, I will keep at it. Do you think there would be any more damage if I let this go for now? I will try and address the problem in a few weeks.

I just had to have my local Jeep Garage replace both my blend doors. What a pain in the a** (Not to mention costing like $800). You should be able to swing it for a while.

It took me quite a while to narrow it down to the blend doors but I'm glad I actually have it working properly for the first time in about 2 years.

Frango100 12-20-2011 03:47 PM

Probably not, if the door is already broken, you will have to replace it eventually. Would not expect other subsequent damage because of this, other then a frozen body:lol:.

tmoc 12-20-2011 07:08 PM

Hi guys. My first time on this forum but I'm currently on my third WJ so I'm no stranger to repair issues. My 2002 just got delivered thru Ebay two days ago and I'm looking at the no heat/passenger side as my most prominent issue.
$800? Seriously? I don't have the choice of not fixing it but I'm really ticked off that Chrysler didn't retrofit a design change knowing what a pain in the butt this repair was.
What exactly is the "simple fix" that would make is a single zone system?

Amelie 12-20-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoc (Post 537564)
$800? Seriously?

Yes but keep in mind I had to take it to my local official Jeep Garage with the cost of labor factored in and as you know sometimes they're known as "stealerships" lol. My father took it to 3 local mechanics and we couldn't isolate the problem until we finally went to Jeep Garage.

Frango100 12-20-2011 07:52 PM

Welcome to the garage tmoc. The repair is that expensive, because they have to remove the whole dash to replace both blend doors. Seems to be an eight hour job at least.
There are some write-ups about the simple repair methode, but in fact it comes around to remove the glovebox, cut a hole in the HVAC housing, remove the blend doors and replace them with new ones, put the cut out part back in and seal it of with tape. Personally i would prefer to remove the dash and keep the jeep original, but ofcourse it all depends on how much you can/want to spend. If you are handy, you could take a weekend and do it yourself.