Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   bulbs? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/bulbs-32493.html)

MagicRat 12-13-2011 08:09 AM

bulbs?

So i just got a set of GEN3 CCFL headlights. What bulbs does everyone reccommend for this? Hopefully I get to install this weekend if the weather holds.

01grand 12-13-2011 09:16 AM

Re: bulbs?

Sounds like you are on the same road as me, although I haven't actually purchased the gen 3's yet. Depending on what I can afford at the time I might run the stock bulbs for a little while, but from what I hear the light output isn't any better over the stock housings. To get the most from the projectors you need a HID kit (bulbs and ballasts). Check out our vendor xenon depot, I have heard good things about their HID kits.

MagicRat 12-13-2011 03:24 PM

I will prob just do stock bulbs for a while too. HID maybe next year. Just didnt know what stock or aftermarket bulbs people are using. Never had to change the bulbs in my stock lights so just havent given it much thought and research :)

01grand 12-13-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicRat (Post 533287)
I will prob just do stock bulbs for a while too. HID maybe next year. Just didnt know what stock or aftermarket bulbs people are using. Never had to change the bulbs in my stock lights so just havent given it much thought and research :)

When I first bought the Jeep I stuck in Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are a bit whiter and brighter than stock. Probably not worth spending the money on though if you are saving for HIDs.

reynolds 12-13-2011 04:12 PM

Stick in some HIRs and forget anout it have had them for four years and really put out some good light ;)

cheapjeep 12-13-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reynolds (Post 533300)
Stick in some HIRs and forget anout it have had them for four years and really put out some good light ;)

Never tried it but was wondering if you can use the angled regular 9006 instead of the xs straight bulb in a WJ?

Gus9890 12-15-2011 12:40 AM

I've got angled for my highs in my Gen 3's

Ypahihi 12-15-2011 05:26 AM

Recently changed my head lights to the SPYDERŪ - Chrome CCFL Halo Projector Headlights with LEDs and had the same dilemma.
Stock bulbs against the CCFL just look crappy. Mine have this straight edge to the low beam against the CCFL output.
As I didn't know what other bulbs could fit the spot (apart from standards) an auto electrician pulled bulbs out and we found that the angled 4300 lumin Phillips 9006 bulbs fit directly into the low beam but wouldn't seat properly into the high beam.
HID kits are illegal in the NT of Australia unless they are self leveling headlamps, so I have gone with the 9006's and am waiting a for HID Kit for the high beam to present itself. No one will notice with the amount of spotlights that decorate 4x4's here.
Hope it helps...........

TJXJWJ 12-15-2011 11:50 AM

I'd caution against HID hi-beams unless you run your high beams for extended periods. HID and many on-off cycles do not mix well.

If you're popping regular bulbs in your GEN3's, don't spend too much money on high end bulbs. The output with halogen is not that great regardless. The only way to really benefit is with a good HID kit.

Sorry to hear about that law Ypahihi! That stinks! Can you argue that they are self leveling because you leveled them yourself? hehehhehe

Amelie 12-15-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 534595)
I'd caution against HID hi-beams unless you run your high beams for extended periods. HID and many on-off cycles do not mix well.

Exactly what he said, HID in high beams is a big No No.

Before you consider any HID kits or setups make sure you at least going to put these in the Gen III projectors. Definitely don't run them in the stock. I did when I first started out and made sure they were low and I was really never flashed but of course sitting on an incline I did sometimes. Most anyone who knows something about HID will tell you that a wire harness is essential. On my initial setup I had the DDM harness bolted onto the battery and I guess I didn't secure it close enough to the terminals because when I would drive around sometimes hitting a bump in the road would shut the lights off. I had a fear of driving at night for a while until I worked out the kinks. lol

XenonDepot: Quality, Customer Service, and if you have the money. I've heard many great stories, read great reviews, and have seen wonderful pictures of setups with XenonDepot.

DDM: If you're looking to try the HID experience but are a little money conscious at the moment. I've heard their ballasts aren't bad but I'm not a fan of their capsules. Maybe get get DDM ballasts and combine it with a quality bulb from XenonDepot. One of the biggest things I hear people warn about DDM is that they offer both a 35w and a 55w kit but their capsule or bulbs only support 35w but DDM states that their capsule/bulbs are rated up to 60w. That's plenty of room for deviation with the 35w but if you're running a 55w I wouldn't bet on that 5w protection lol.

The Retrofit Source (TRS): They have their own line of ballasts known as "Morimoto". Their quality is excellent but they're a little pricey costing more than an entire DDM kit but you get what you pay for. Their Morimoto 3Five (35w) ballasts start at $110 and their 9006 HID capsules go for $45. I run a 3k version of the 3Five capsules and they have been excellent so far.

Ypahihi 12-17-2011 07:32 AM

Thanks guys for the heads up.
So what are the options for Hi beam?

Amelie 12-17-2011 09:54 AM

As reynolds mentioned, HIR's would be a good choice for the high beams since we already talked about the warm-up times and power cycling of HID being bad for it. Though the jump in lumens from a 9006 to a 9012 is greater than the 9005 to 9011 I have seen people modify the tabs so they can install an HIR meant for high-beam replacement into their low-beams.

I got the info from a Subaru Legacy website and had to change the graph around a little to be better understandable but here are the lumen differences between a halogen and HIR for the 9005 and 9006 slot and the lumen difference between a 9005 and 9006 Halogen.

(Halogen # and subsequent HIR # that replaces it)

Halogen → HIR

9005 → 9011
9006 → 9012
9005 → 9006

(Lumen Difference)

Halogen → HIR

1700lm → 2350lm
1000lm → 1875lm
1000lm → 1700lm

So as you can see a high-beam replacement is an adequate improvement. Do note that HIR's run at 3600K compared to Halogen's 3250K so they will be slightly whiter. Here are the two best places I've found to order them.

http://hirheadlights.com/

and the supposed 3rd Gen HIR

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

You seem like your more towards aesthetics than functionality with matching the CCFL's so this might be good.

http://www.coolbulbs.com/raybrig.asp