Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2005 Laredo 4.7 hesitates-stalls-shakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2005-laredo-4-7-hesitates-stalls-shakes-32502.html)

js232 12-13-2011 10:24 AM

2005 Laredo 4.7 hesitates-stalls-shakes

Hi!

So! I bought this 2005 Laredo 4.7 4x4 a few weeks ago. I noticed that when the vehicule is cold, it will hesitate for the first 1 minute of driving. It's realy slight but you can feel it's there. Also, when the jeep idles at a stop light the rpms will sometimes drop from 6-700 to 450-500 up and down (hot or cold engine). There is also sometimes a big drop in rpm when applaying the brakes strongly; it feels like the engine will die but at the last minute, the rpms primes up back to where in the operating range. I did'nt really care about it till yeasterday; while I was driving with my 15 months old son... Leaving from a stop and making a light turn on my left, the engine died, I lost the power stearing and I had to stop the jeep and restart again... Pretty scary and unsafe with a baby onboard! :eek: I also noticed that at cold starts, the engine shakes a little just like a misfire... And I experienced for the first time yesterday the same shaking feel while backing up and steping forward at idle??

Any clues? I have good records for the thing and all of hem done at a dealership. The Tbody has never been cleaned, it has the original EGR valve... It does not trow any code. Should I start there or is there anything else I should look for?

One last thing... Sometimes I will experience a Service electric brake system. and the electronic stability light lights up... It always happen when I have my foot on the brake pedal...

Thanks in advance for your inputs!:thumbsup:

swing4terps 12-13-2011 11:53 AM

Re: 2005 Laredo 4.7 hesitates-stalls-shakes

I would start with the cheap fixes first...EGR, PCV, and TPS.

I experienced similar problems with the same MY and engine as you. I checked the TPS and it was fine. (search for instructions on how to do so) I then changed my PCV and it appeared to help a little, however I would still stall out occassionally. Finally bought an EGR from Advance Auto and installed it and haven't stalled since. Idling has also improved.

If I had to guess, I'd say a new EGR would fix you right up, but the other two are easy to check/replace so no harm in starting there.

jonjoek 12-13-2011 12:16 PM

Sounds very much like the dodgy Throttle Position Sensor I had go bad on my 4.7. It was an easy fix, nice and easy to get too aswell.

You can take it off and test it with a digital multimeter to see if it gives you a linear respponse when turning it by hand.

js232 12-13-2011 02:59 PM

Thanks to both of you...

I'l change the egr valve...

I'l clean the Tbody and IAC: Do you really have to remove the whole tbody in order to clean it? Is the removal procedure the same as the wj 4.7 procedure posted on wjjeeps?

As for the tps ; I have a multimeter bout I do not understand your precedure? At what setting do I set my multimeter? And What should I read on the screen? What is a linear reading? Can the tps be faulty sometimes and ok most of the time?

Thank you:thumbsup:

garllo 12-13-2011 04:30 PM

I would also check to see if there are any codes active or in history!

BigTicket13 12-16-2011 12:26 PM

x2 on the TPS (throttle position sensor) just replace one on my 2005 4.7 with all the same problems that you were having. I changed it out in about 20 minutes tops and I believe you can get a lifetime warranty replacement one for around twenty bucks.

BigTicket13 12-16-2011 12:28 PM

With my TPS it would go through with times when it would run fine get back back in the next day back to garbage. Just replace the TPS I would use the mulitimeter to test that part. It is very cheap to replace and it literally i think two bolts. When you take you old one off you will see there is a gear in there and that can go bad which will not be detected through the multimeter.

Christine.Bachtell 06-15-2013 07:55 PM

I have the same problem with mine ! I have the 2005 limited and it also idles weird it will get so low to where it sounds like its about to shut off then revs back up it also has shut off while I was driving and I had to turn it back on real quick and is constantly jerking in and out of gears, I finally got to codes out of it but the tech that got them couldn't tell me what they meant
Here they are if anyone can help with what they mean
U0401 - implausible data recurred from engine control module / power control module
P0068 - manifold absolute pressure / mass air flow throttle position correlation
Any input would be much appreciated cause I don't feel it's safe driving my 5 month old son in it.

05_GC_LTD 06-23-2013 06:07 PM

run seafoam in it :)

tomk 06-24-2013 05:43 AM

how old is the battery? Very common cause of unstable idle on Mopars.