Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Painted Lower Trim (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/painted-lower-trim-32503.html)

FlyFlip420 12-13-2011 10:54 AM

Painted Lower Trim

Who has done this?

Just curious as I took it to a few paint guys and they said that the texture of the bumper will most likely be the reason, if any, that the paint won't stick. One of them has a similar bumper from another car (wrecked) and is going to prep and spray like he would mine. Then beat the hell out of it (extreme wind, cold, heat) and see what the paint does. All of them agree it may work, but are leery due to the texture of the pieces vs. smooth surfaces like they are used to.

If anyone else has done this, how is it holding up? How long has it been painted? Any chips? Where do you live...I am in Chicago, so the snow and ice is also a concern with flex and the texture.

I am not looking for a generic about all bumpers, " Yes, it will be fine cuz iI read it on a forum that it will be fine, and all bumpers are plastic" :slapfight: LOL... as all the bumpers you would be talking about are smooth....not textured...which is where this issue comes in. I am looking for feedback from people that have done this exact mod or have expert experience with paint and doing such mods on a textured surface.

-- What paint did they/you use?
-- Anything different/special on the prep?

I am not really interested in paying the money to do this, only to have it start falling off in a year or two and having to pay to have it redone or buy new trim pieces. Soooooooooo only those with real experience need apply :p

moosehead 12-13-2011 11:03 AM

Re: Painted Lower Trim

^Flip, I have had the same feedback from majority of body shops, and all would sand smooth, use adhesion primer, base coats, multiple paint coats, multiple clear. Most just do not think it would hold up even with proper prep. The two shops that would warrant the work and have corresponding confidence want a ton of dough for it. Note many JG vets have done this with good long term results. YMMV.

Black Ops Auto Works 12-13-2011 11:07 AM

I have it coming in Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass along with a few other things in a few weeks as long as everything stays on track.
The Fiberglass version will hold paint a lot better than the Plastic.

FlyFlip420 12-13-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Ops Auto Works (Post 533135)
I have it coming in Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass along with a few other things in a few weeks as long as everything stays on track.

Thanks Moose! That is exactly what I am getting here and was hoping there was a magic spell that could be done to get it to stick :)

Black Ops....can't wait! Please keep me posted and in mind. Can't wait to see the trim package you have coming :thumbsup: and hopefully a hood:eek:

CPT2010 12-13-2011 11:11 AM

I used several grades of wet sand paper. I did this so i wouldn't mess up the plastic.
It took me about 30 mins a side. Cleaned it with a spray bottle of alcohol and wiped clean. Primed it 1 coat and wet sanded it with a finer grade for 10 mins. wiped it down with clean water and cloth and dried it. another coat of primer then let dry and did one more coat. then i applied my paint. about 4 light coats with 5 mins of drying time in between. and then the clear coat.
make sure you paint in a warm and dry place. last winter i closed my garage. turned on the heater and wore a mask.
take your time and you will be so happy that you didnt pay for a body shop to do it.

CPT2010 12-13-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Ops Auto Works (Post 533135)

hahaha ^ thats cooler than painting it lol

Black Ops Auto Works 12-13-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPT2010 (Post 533142)
hahaha ^ thats cooler than painting it lol

Haa no doubt!!
I have a little trick for the rear step I think everyone will be really happy with what they are about to see soon.

FlyFlip420 12-13-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Ops Auto Works (Post 533143)
Haa no doubt!!
I have a little trick for the rear step I think everyone will be really happy with what they are about to see soon.

Good..make it cover part of the bumper and the rear step as my garage ate my bumper in a beautiful straight line....FML :(

Black Ops Auto Works 12-13-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFlip420 (Post 533246)
Good..make it cover part of the bumper and the rear step as my garage ate my bumper in a beautiful straight line....FML :(

Close;)

Scottina06 12-13-2011 03:00 PM

theres a couple 2011+ Jeeps here with painted lower trim...white and silver

frog_a_lot 12-13-2011 07:34 PM

I thought that the whole point of rubbing back trim/bumpers with sandpaper and wet/dry was to rough them up and texture them so the paint sticks. Im not sure why this wont work on these trims as well. Let me know how you guys go as i would like to colour code mine as well.

J13ntv 12-13-2011 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this thread

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/bridgestone-revo2-installed-31040.html

2011hemigc4me- flex ppg paint