Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Air Suspension on the Overland... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/air-suspension-on-the-overland-32527.html)

Gene 12-13-2011 06:33 PM

Air Suspension on the Overland...

Have a question about the air suspension. How long has jeep GC had the air suspension. I realize that they probably have the bugs out by now but wondered about the longevity and maintenance on the system after several years ownership ( out of warranty ).
I have had a vehicle with air suspension and had troubles and vowed I'd never have another but I have been considering an Overland. :D Thanks
Gene

jgc4ever 12-13-2011 07:42 PM

Re: Air Suspension on the Overland...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 533416)
Have a question about the air suspension. How long has jeep GC had the air suspension. I realize that they probably have the bugs out by now but wondered about the longevity and maintenance on the system after several years ownership ( out of warranty ).
I have had a vehicle with air suspension and had troubles and vowed I'd never have another but I have been considering an Overland. :D Thanks
Gene

Began in the 2011 year Jeep Grand Cherokee. First time offered by Chrysler or Jeep as far as I know.

Scottina06 12-13-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 533416)
Gene

just from my observations here...the bugs from the air suspension seemed to have been worked out. There are quite a few threads on the subject. I also seem to be hearing less and less on the subject form the 2012er's. But mind you.....air suspensions...no matter the make or model have higher maintenance costs.

Repo503 12-14-2011 02:08 PM

Last time I replaced the rear air shocks on my Denali they were 350 per shock and 400 for a new compressor. Its a much less sophisticated suspension than whats in our Overland and my E class, so I cant imagine it will be cheap to fix. The Jeep system seems to be a little better than some others out there though, years back I bought a then new 03 Range Rover and it spent about 5 of the 8 months I owned it in the dealers service department, mostly air suspension issues. I really wish they would mke it optional on the Overland as the upcoming diesel would make a nice and comfortable expo rig, but I would want to run larger tires than the air will allow.

bmrisko 12-14-2011 02:11 PM

Knock on wood...no trouble in the first 1000 miles, but the air suspension was also one of the deciding factors as to why I purchased the lifetime warranty. I figure I can easily break even w/ 1 major repair related to the air suspension.

ekaz 12-14-2011 02:40 PM

One front air shock for the WK2 is just over $1100. Some incentive to get an extended warranty. Lol

MikeD 12-14-2011 02:44 PM

Knock on wood, no trouble for 5000 miles, although I hear an air release ping noise a few times a day.

jeep2011 12-14-2011 06:11 PM

Also with this system no one knows just what the 99.9% pure nitrogen refill alone will cost each time there is a failure.

rockrash 12-14-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekaz (Post 534013)
One front air shock for the WK2 is just over $1100. Some incentive to get an extended warranty. Lol

Will extended warranty cover air shocks ????

ColdCase 12-14-2011 07:54 PM

Depends on what plan, the maximum care plan does.

Problems so far seem to be due to leaks, haven't heard of any long term trends yet, its getting close to two years since it was introduced. There are only a couple manufactures of air suspension systems, and the outfit that builds the jeep version has been building good ones for decades.

jp467 12-14-2011 08:34 PM

Nitrogen is cheap. My question was always how many of them will really be re filled with the correct class 5 stuff.

daleviewrd 12-16-2011 08:39 PM

19,850 miles and 12 months of operation -- No problems with air lift or any other issue. Average calculated 16
mpg in suburban driving w V8