Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Head Rest Removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/head-rest-removal-32575.html)

jztbcz 12-14-2011 02:44 PM

Head Rest Removal

Hello ...

I'm hoping that someone in the know here can tell me how to remove the headrests on my front seats so that I can put on my seat covers.. ????

I'm slowly but surely doing my mods and the seat covers are next in line. i thank everyone for their time and responses....

jztbcz
2011 Jeep GC Laredo X
4X4 5.7 Hemi

Jeep_addicted 12-15-2011 12:06 PM

Re: Head Rest Removal

Sure I had to figure this one out myself when I was swapping the interior for a Katkin.

First thing I will tell you is that you are going to have to remove the plastic seatback over because there is a yellow plug for the active head restraint that has to be disconnected.

Okay

Step one raise the head rest to the highest level.

You will notice that on the left posts of the headrest there are notches that allow height adjustment.

On the right post there is also a notch that restricts the post from coming all the way out ( you cannot see this without removing the plastic bezel at the base of the right post)

Step two take a screwdriver or trim removal tool and pry off the plastic bezel from around the head rest post.

Step three Use the screwdriver to release the last notch on the right head rest post.

The plastic seat back cover simply comes off with steady force there are no screw holding in on.

Good luck with your project.

jztbcz 12-17-2011 04:02 PM

I thank you very much for the response. I'll definitely get to that tomorrow and hopefully all will go well .... I have the leather interior but I'm just trying to have extra protection from spills and such....

:thumbsup:

jztbcz 12-29-2011 07:55 PM

Thank you again Jeep addicted. I put my covers on and the operation was flawless ...

oldjeepster 11-12-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jztbcz (Post 534023)
Hello ...

I'm hoping that someone in the know here can tell me how to remove the headrests on my front seats so that I can put on my seat covers.. ????

I'm slowly but surely doing my mods and the seat covers are next in line. i thank everyone for their time and responses....

jztbcz
2011 Jeep GC Laredo X
4X4 5.7 Hemi

Hello, I just did this. Pull your headrest up as high as you can after pushing the lock button in, it is on the side of the base where the heahrest rods go into the seatback. Then get a paperclip and look for the pin hole on the side of the base and push it in while holding the headrest button in at the same time and lifting the headrest out of the seatback. Now be carefull because the one rod will have the seatbelt sensor wire connection attached to it. Simply disconnect it at the connector, not letting the wire fall back into the hole(I secured it around the base of the headrest hole). I then put the seatcovers on, reconnected the sensor connection wire to the headrest and put it back into the seatback. It was a little hard but you will get it out. Good Luck, Oldjeepster

bpd138 11-19-2012 01:16 PM

Hello,
I am thinking about putting leather seat covers on my GC. How was it, swapping out the seat covers? Any tips, comments or words of wisdom? last but not least, do you have any pictures of the new seat covers after they were installed?
Thanks for any input.

JMP8562 11-19-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 534603)
Sure I had to figure this one out myself when I was swapping the interior for a Katkin.

First thing I will tell you is that you are going to have to remove the plastic seatback over because there is a yellow plug for the active head restraint that has to be disconnected.

Okay

Step one raise the head rest to the highest level.

You will notice that on the left posts of the headrest there are notches that allow height adjustment.

On the right post there is also a notch that restricts the post from coming all the way out ( you cannot see this without removing the plastic bezel at the base of the right post)

Step two take a screwdriver or trim removal tool and pry off the plastic bezel from around the head rest post.

Step three Use the screwdriver to release the last notch on the right head rest post.

The plastic seat back cover simply comes off with steady force there are no screw holding in on.

Good luck with your project.

Question if i remove it and cut off to the first notch will the head rest go all the way down ? sorry did not want to Hi-jack your thread :o

taraxterra03 12-28-2012 02:03 PM

How much force do I have to use - as I am pushing in the paper clip? I can't get it to work ...

pops2410 03-22-2013 01:02 PM

Thank you all for your help!

jeeplaredo33 08-29-2013 03:17 PM

Hello. There's another thread in Jeep Forum regarding head rest removal and one of the replies to the original question has a Trim Removal PDF file attached. Per that PDF file, it sounds like you must disconnect the battery if you are going to remove the AHR connection to the head rest post. That sounds like maybe you could activate an airbag somewhere if you are not careful. Did you disconnect the battery before removing the wire from the head rest post?
Thank you,

jeeplaredo33
2014 Jeep GC Laredo