Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Jeep Liberty decides not to start every once in a while (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/jeep-liberty-decides-not-to-start-every-once-in-a-while-32578.html)

arcox 12-14-2011 03:55 PM

Jeep Liberty decides not to start every once in a while

My 2005 Jeep Liberty decides after driving around a bit not to start. Battery is fine. And it will start again -- so far -- after 20+ minutes; but I wonder if one time it won't. Service dept has checked it when it is working and says to bring it in when it won't start - that's not helpful.

Does anybody have ideas on what causes this intermittent (every 2 weeks) problem?

Frango100 12-15-2011 06:50 AM

Re: Jeep Liberty decides not to start every once in a while

When you say that it wonīt start, do you mean that it doesnīt turn over, or it does turnover and wonīt fire up? I had a problem like this on a different car, where it did crank but didnīt fire up when engine was hot. It was my crank position sensor at that time.
Did you already check for fault codes (ignition 3 times on/off and leave it in on after the third time. Fault codes will appear in the odometer or Done will be shown when no faults)

arcox 12-15-2011 08:29 AM

thanks for the advice - I'll try the fault code

greyfox-53 02-09-2012 06:25 PM

I'm having the same problem with my grand, got an auto elec to check it out but he could not find the problem. any other things u might know to help out.

TowMater 07-02-2013 09:28 PM

My Jeep Liberty 2005 will occasionally not start the engine. The key turns properly and I can see the battery is o.k. Yet the engine won't start or make any noise. It is completely silent even though the lights are on. If I wait about 20 minutes it usually works. Has somebody with similar problems found the solution for this?

Frango100 07-02-2013 11:24 PM

Next time listen under the hood while someone tries to start. Do you hear a slight click from the starter relay in the power distribution center? If not, the relay could be bad, the park/neutral safety switch or even the ignition switch. Mess a bit with the shift lever next time and see if it will start.
If you do hear a slight click from the start relay, the problem can be with the starter solenoid (part of the starter) or a bad ground. Tap on the starter with some wrench and see if it will start.

TowMater 07-03-2013 08:49 PM

Thank you! I will try it next time it happens.