Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f143/)
-   -   My front drive shaft looks bent? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f143/my-front-drive-shaft-looks-bent-3259.html)

Vinnysrt8 10-13-2009 05:45 PM

My front drive shaft looks bent?

Today i was fixing my borla s exhaust leak that has been driving my crazy so while i was under there some thing made me spin my front drive shaft and it looked like it had a whobble i think thats why my sterring vibrates i spun it a couple of times to double check.

dreamer1213 10-13-2009 06:03 PM

Re: My front drive shaft looks bent?

Thats sucky Vinny. Warranty issue prehaps? Its part of the drivetrain/powertrain I would think. Let the dealer check it out!

Marlin 10-13-2009 06:06 PM

it'll be warranty unless it's been hit by a foreign object or you've twisted it because you have a heap of engine improvements.

I'd let the dealer look at it, and if they knock your warranty back you can usually get a new stronger one made for a few hundred $ (assuming a new factory one is too expensive)

Vinnysrt8 10-13-2009 06:23 PM

im gonna take it off maybe this week and bring it a shop by me and have them check it if it is bent on the machine

hemi.jon 10-13-2009 11:53 PM

yeah a new custom drive shaft wouldnt be to much, its probably alot less the what the dealer will charge

Scottina06 10-14-2009 12:49 AM

cleveland pick a part has two drive shafts on ebay for like $129

Vinnysrt8 10-14-2009 07:31 AM

i have warrenty im not buying a new one i just want to get it check before i go to the dealer

Scottina06 10-14-2009 12:53 PM

I wouldnt waste my time and effort to remove it then...I thought you were out of warranty and that was the reason for you to remove it and have the balance checked

Vinnysrt8 10-14-2009 01:47 PM

ya true i just called and made an appointment for next week

NHWK05 10-14-2009 05:43 PM

Get a Tom Woods custom made drive shaft for under $200 usually.

hemi.jon 10-14-2009 05:50 PM

Tom Woods! i havent herd that name in so long. he makes AWESOME dshafts, huge name in the offroad world. the only reason i never bought from him was because we had a dshaft shop down the street. and they always gave me huge discounts..so i couldnt pass it.

RedRocker 10-14-2009 06:00 PM

I was talking with Russ of 4xGuard last weekend, he was recounting the issues he had with Big Red 1 (his '05 WK - now replaced with an '08 CRD). He told me his front driveshaft disintegrated while on a long trip. To shorten a long story - our front driveshafts have internal lubrication which is contained by a seal that can't withstand the jarring created when you drop the front part of the shaft on a shop floor. If you've ever had work done on the front end where the mechanic had to remove one side of your front shaft, they may have damaged it.

This kinda makes me want to invest in a Woody - I've already replaced the paper thin rear driveshaft with a more trail-worthy steel drive shaft.