Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland Summits & SRT8's On Restriction? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-summits-and-srt8s-on-restriction-32590.html)

Raptor 12-14-2011 07:38 PM

Overland Summits & SRT8's On Restriction?

My local dealer just informed me that the 2012 Overland Summit I'm looking to order is on restriction from the factory. Can anyone confirm this?

I was interested in a 2012 4X4 Overland Summit 24R (Summit order package w/5.7 L Hemi) with a NHK engine block heater. He didn't know if the Summit package was on restriction, the engine, or some other reason.
He also said the SRT8's are on restriction.
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks

Raptor 12-15-2011 12:49 PM

Re: Overland Summits & SRT8's On Restriction?

Anyone??
I was told today from another dealer ALL 4X4 grand cherokee factory builds are on restriction until the next allocation ~ until about the first week of January 2012, not just the higher level trim models. And the Jefferson North plant is running Sunday shifts to keep up with demand

Milous, can you confirm this?

tyresmoker 12-15-2011 01:12 PM

There is an ample amount of Summits out there as long as you want black or gray...I believe the engine block heater can be added as an accessory? Why order?

Raptor 12-15-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyresmoker (Post 534635)
There is an ample amount of Summits out there as long as you want black or gray...I believe the engine block heater can be added as an accessory? Why order?

The last time I went that route on a new Jeep with a dealer installed OEM Mopar engine block heater it leaked in a couple of years and they didn't want to honor the warantee for it since it wasn't in the factory build. I know, complete BS but I'm not playin that game ever again!

tyresmoker 12-15-2011 01:49 PM

Roger that. Make sure the block heater is definitely factory installed. I have seen situations where they are on the build sheet but the final install is done at the port or dealer...

JGCCAYENNE 12-15-2011 02:34 PM

How many Overland Summit vehicles does the dealer have in stock? He may be trying to get you to buy one off the lot to count as a December retail sale. If you order one, it will most likely be a January sale for him.

I agree with you about ordering one to your specifications. I did the same.

Milous 12-15-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor (Post 534642)
The last time I went that route on a new Jeep with a dealer installed OEM Mopar engine block heater it leaked in a couple of years

They are 100% leak-proof now as they are not immersed in coolant.

rushdriven 12-15-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGCCAYENNE (Post 534668)
How many Overland Summit vehicles does the dealer have in stock? He may be trying to get you to buy one off the lot to count as a December retail sale. If you order one, it will most likely be a January sale for him.

+1

Raptor 12-15-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGCCAYENNE (Post 534668)

Yes I'm fully aware of the game many lying dealers try to play.... We can't order what you really want right now..... but I happen to have this Jeep in my inventory right now, so how bad do you want a new Jeep....

At this point I'm more weary of the dealer who wants to take a deposit from me and swears he can order the exact Overland Summit I want on Mon. 12/19/11 because his dealership has allocation still avaiable? :confused:

But I've been told the same factory restriction story from several of the dealers I've talked too, so it probably has some truth to it. Not sure what the true reason is, but the Overland build I'm looking to order apparently is on factory restriction right now. :mad:

Raptor 12-15-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 534694)
They are 100% leak-proof now as they are not immersed in coolant.

Not sure what your mean when you say that the engine block heaters are no longer immersed in coolant? I would be ordering a 5.7L Hemi w/ NHK engine block heater and I thought that would be factory installed in a coolant passage in the block thru a removed block coolant plug. Do the OEM Mopar block heaters warm the engine differently now on the 5.7L Hemi's than they have in the past?

More importantly do you care to comment on the reason why I have been told 4X4 Overland Summits are on restriction right now. Is that accurate? One dealer said all 4X4 grand cherokees are on restriction, another said only the higher trim level Grands are restricted? Whats the real story? When will that restriction be lifted, if you know??
Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:

JGCCAYENNE 12-15-2011 04:55 PM

I ordered mine, and I did not have to put a deposit down. These are mass market cars, and they can sell the car you ordered without any difficulty if you do not buy it. Do not let the dealers control the sales process.

Request a brochure through the Jeep Website, and they will send you a "private rebate" for $1,000 on top of current rebates. You should get at least $4,000 off MSRP, plus the $1,000 public rebate, plus the $1,000 private rebate, for a total of $6,000 off MSRP for a 2012 order.

Milous 12-15-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor (Post 534730)
Not sure what your mean when you say that the engine block heaters are no longer immersed in coolant?

They are installed into a recess in the engine block and heat the block rather than heating the coolant. See pic below, 3.7L heater is immersed version, 5.7/6.1 is block version:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/engine/engine...heater_002.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor (Post 534730)
More importantly do you care to comment on the reason why I have been told 4X4 Overland Summits are on restriction right now. Is that accurate?

ALL 4x4 GC's are on restriction until January, and maybe even February as January is close to being scheduled out. Looks like JNAP may need to add a third shift (they are working on some weekends).