Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Re-call : heated seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/re-call-heated-seats-32615.html)

GCUK 12-15-2011 12:11 PM

Re-call : heated seats

Over here in the UK I've just had a nice letter from Jeep saying there is a re-call on my 2004 GC. (they get our details from the goverment licencing people) They say the heated seats can, in extreme conditions run too hot with possible fire as a result (or roasted nuts :eek: )
So Ive booked it in for new seat heaters to be fitted to both front seats all free of charge. They need it for about 1 hour or so.
Im happy with that as its 7 years old !

Anyone else had this ?

Me Fix 12-15-2011 12:52 PM

Re: Re-call : heated seats

I received my notice several months ago. My 2004 was bought used here in Indiana, so I have no idea as to what who did before me. My last 96 Jeep had a recall for the catillac convertor. I had the dealer replace it along with a newl program flash to the ECM. That Jeep never ran good again after that and so I am very reluctant to allow a dealer to mess with this one, even if it's only the seat heaters. I often wonder if the dealer woul;d just give me the new heaters and I could install them, but I know that will never happen. Anyway, let us know how it goes. I may change my mind.

imaguy3 12-15-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCUK (Post 534607)
Over here in the UK I've just had a nice letter from Jeep saying there is a re-call on my 2004 GC. (they get our details from the goverment licencing people) They say the heated seats can, in extreme conditions run too hot with possible fire as a result (or roasted nuts :eek: )
So Ive booked it in for new seat heaters to be fitted to both front seats all free of charge. They need it for about 1 hour or so.

Anyone else had this ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me Fix (Post 534624)
My last 96 Jeep had a recall for the catillac convertor. I had the dealer replace it along with a newl program flash to the ECM. That Jeep never ran good again after that and so I am very reluctant to allow a dealer to mess with this one, even if it's only the seat heaters.

I've had the heated seat recall and ever since my seats definately don't get as warm... I also noticed a tear forming in one of the seams of my leather but can't prove they did it:mad:

On my 96 XJ it had a catalytic converter recall as well. The dealer tried charging me for the recall b/c they had to send the Jeep to a muffler shop to weld the new one on. I asked the service manager if it was my problem that none of his guys knew how to weld and if he wanted to charge me for the recall work then I was going to charge him my hourly pay rate since I was missing work for it... My car ran fine though so I"m wondering if there was another issue and was coincidental?

TJXJWJ 12-15-2011 03:10 PM

I would do some research first guys...from everything I've read, the new seat heaters SUCK and everyone hates them because they don't get warm at all. I've kept my originals despite the recall. I figure if my original ones ever break, I'll seek a recall, but if not, I'm perfectly content as is. I never run mine on high anyway, and if they make me sterile, that's even better. :)

Me Fix 12-15-2011 04:22 PM

I like that, except what you have till it goes bad, then do the recall. Mine work fine, so why not leave them alone for now.

As for my 96 Grand Cherokee, after the cat. recall, I started having stalling issues. Never got any codes, nothing! Just like someone turned the key off. At any time, any place, any speed, any temperature. It would just die. The inline 6 had the fuel rail with shradder valve which i used with a fuel pressure gauge. I drove around for a week with the gauge taped to my windshield. 50 lbs all the time. Then, finally it stalled and still had 50 lbs of fuel pressure. I think it was something other than fuel, but never found out as I traided her on the 04 Overland. I read many forums about stalling issues with the 96 Grand Cherokee. Replaced just about every input sensor, one at a time, like so many others, but never had any luck. The only thing I do remember is that I didn't have the issue till the dealer reflashed the ECM with a new program designed to help find a bad catillac convertor which the origional program would not do. I did think about not having them replace the convertor because I wondered about them putting in a new program on a ride that had something like 120,000 miles. My ride wasn't new, but it did run good, I just had a convertor that rattled. That was the problem as they would come apart inside and would loose function without the owner knowing it.

Thanks to all for being part of this great forum. it's better than having the shop manuals.

Have a Merry!

Frango100 12-15-2011 06:17 PM

I would like to have some seat COOLERS installed on my Jeep:D. The leather is getting too hot overhere and burns my ass even without any heater.:lol:

dsi jeep 12-16-2011 12:03 AM

Code:

I would do some research first guys...from everything I've read, the new seat heaters SUCK and everyone hates them because they don't get warm at all. I've kept my originals despite the recall. I figure if my original ones ever break, I'll seek a recall, but if not, I'm perfectly content as is. I never run mine on high anyway, and if they make me sterile, that's even better. :)
100% correct! I did the re-call on my 04' Overland a year ago and wish I had someone to tell me not to do it. Now my "HI" is like the old "LOW". It still gets warm but not enough to keep me happy.

StoneCold 12-16-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCUK (Post 534607)

Anyone else had this ?

Not heard a peep from them!

imaguy3 12-16-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 534801)
I would like to have some seat COOLERS installed on my Jeep:D. The leather is getting too hot overhere and burns my ass even without any heater.:lol:

This! I've been seeing newer cars with perforated leather seats for A/C in the seats.... it would be amazing to have out here in the summer!

Ypahihi 12-18-2011 02:07 AM

I hear you Frango100.... :)
The joys of leather in any equatorial country..........

GCUK 12-19-2011 06:44 AM

Sounds like they put in lower wattage heater pads then ? Must say Ive found the low setting ok, then when the cabin temp wards up I turn them off ! Still waiting for a date to take her in.

GCUK 01-24-2012 06:06 AM

Its booked in for this saturday morning to have the recall work done. I shall mention to the man as he takes the key's, my leather seats are perfect, and I want them back in the same condition !!