Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   FCW - Forward Collision Warning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/fcw-forward-collision-warning-32637.html)

Dan JGC 12-15-2011 06:34 PM

FCW - Forward Collision Warning

Had the first real incident today with the FCW system actually doing me a save....three lanes of traffic, in left lane and the middle and right sparse. All lanes moving about 45 in city and took my eyes to the side and FCW went off ... beep beep beep ... for some unknown reason cars in front were totally stopped just in my lane. I may have caught it but the FCW definitely made me catch it early. A nice feature for sure! I suspect it will be mandatory in 5-10 years on all cars...

armoredsaint 12-16-2011 12:28 AM

Re: FCW - Forward Collision Warning

Does it apply the brakes or even a complete stop if need be? I know the Volvo system does that. I asked the Jeep Salesman and he had no clue...

BobsWK2 12-16-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 534981)
Does it apply the brakes or even a complete stop if need be? I know the Volvo system does that. I asked the Jeep Salesman and he had no clue...

The system is designed to provide a 25% maximum braking force so it can't stop the vehicle.

franco1961 12-16-2011 05:34 AM

You sure FCW it apply brake? or just beep?

77Cherokee 12-16-2011 09:35 AM

FCW does not stop the vehicle. It beeps and flashes a warning, and pre-loads the brakes to make a faster stop when you apply them. In effect, you could say it increases your reaction time by a fraction of a second.

ColdCase 12-16-2011 10:38 AM

The brakes are automatically applied only when you also have the adaptable cruise enabled, but it will not completely stop the vehicle.

armoredsaint 12-16-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 535090)
The brakes are automatically applied only when you also have the adaptable cruise enabled, but it will not completely stop the vehicle.

i'm not sure how much i would trust a computer to provide 100% braking...software does tend to fail.

Lingohocken 12-17-2011 11:53 AM

Just returned from a long trip that was essentially flawless. However, every 1,500 miles or so, always daytime on highway straightaways at high speed, the EVIC would flash (a triangle, as I recall) and screech for maybe one second for supposedly needed emergency braking. Nice, but in each of these instances the road was clear with no cars or debris or anything else.

Cruise likely was enabled in each instance, but I can't be certain.

No harm done, except now we ignore what could be a useful safety warning.