Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Best methods of cleaning black trim (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/best-methods-of-cleaning-black-trim-32677.html)

Wxchaser 12-16-2011 05:35 PM

Best methods of cleaning black trim

Guys -

Any tips on how to best clean the black wheel well trim, the trim below the rocker panels, etc?

Your suggestions on trim dressing types and your successes would be greatly appreciated.

Just did a two bucket wash in about 42 degree temps but glad I did after our recent freezing rain and snow.

Martyp 12-16-2011 05:39 PM

Re: Best methods of cleaning black trim

For the wheel wells I use either Meguairs Hyper Dressing which comes in a gallon diluted at 1:3. Or Chemical Guys Bare Bones which also comes in a gallon but can not be diluted.

Any trim/tire dressing which can be sprayed on and dries clear works well though.

Wxchaser 12-16-2011 05:59 PM

Thanks Marty that's exactly what I was looking for.

Wxchaser 12-19-2011 06:07 PM

One gallon of Chemical Brothers Natural Shine on the way, decided to try that on my trim to see how that goes.

nyc_medic 12-19-2011 06:13 PM

I like the chemical guys line of products. They have good stuff at decent prices.

Wxchaser 12-30-2011 05:47 PM

I just did a 2 bucket wash, and after everything was dried - I had a chance to use the Chemical Brothers Natural Shine on the trim. This trim dressing works very well for cleaning and protection and doesn't give a false glossy shine. I really liked how it applied and buffed off on the trim - still not sure how much I like it as a tire dressing yet, am comparing to some others I have on hand.

Jeep92 12-30-2011 05:59 PM

After washing, rinsing and drying. I wipe a coat of WD-40 on them.

Jeep92 12-30-2011 06:02 PM

Didn't read the title right, I thought is said rims lol!

Scottina06 12-30-2011 06:41 PM

I would never dress the black trim.....thats gonna attract dirt, grime and more stains. Use a high quality microfiber towel, wet it with detailers spray and scrub the moldings. I use this method anytime I get wax etc. on my black moldings. They look perfect after 5.5 years

Wxchaser 12-31-2011 03:51 AM

Looking for your black moldings Scott! :-)

The stuff I use is a water based matte black emulsion - it is non greasy and doesn't seem to attract any particulates. It can be used on interior dashes, seats, etc., but I use it for trim dressing sparingly when needed, sometimes as a matte black tire dressing too.