Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Just shuts off? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/just-shuts-off-32705.html)

Filly1sock 12-17-2011 01:15 PM

Just shuts off?

Can anyone direct me to the right spot to research if this has already been discussed or share some insight on my '07 5.7 G.C. shutting off in a stop-n-go rush hour type situation? I bought this truck a month ago & twice now it has shut off while in gear & it is NOT low/no gas. Both times I was in stop-n-go traffic and just creeping forward, brake, creep forward then brake type situations.

The truck sometimes revs up a few hundred rpms while at a red light & the dash lights get real bright & then all goes back to normal meaning my rpm at the red light goes back to around 550/600rpms & the lights go back to normal.

I tend to think what causes the rpm surge may be linked to what causes the truck to shut off at low rpms like during rush hour traffic or like when you're looking for a parking space while idling by spot after spot.

I'm new to this site so if this needed to have been put elsewhere I apologize but if anyone can throw me anything helpful I am saying now, "Thanks!"

Escape 12-17-2011 02:02 PM

Re: Just shuts off?

How many miles on the Jeep?
Do you have a catchcan?
Have you cleaned the throttlebody?
Are there any codes?
Is the battery the original one?

JeepCoop 12-17-2011 03:18 PM

I've had this very same thing happen a few times so I'd like to know too. Even took it to Jeep and they found nothing... I've got 65k everything has been changed and good (I'm very meticulous about maintenance)

BigTicket13 12-17-2011 04:57 PM

I wouldt do all the above and consider changing the TPS (throttle position sensor) I had a very similar problem with my Jeep until I replaced this part. It was about 20 buck with a lift time warranty.

While doing that though I did a full tune up (4.7) and cleaned the TB.

My symptoms where irregular RPMs in a stopped position bot parked and stopped at a light with the vehicle in drive. Stalled once or twice if I remember correctly.

Also with my 4.7 a catch can is no required, and I am not sure of the reason behind this on the 5.7, but I have seen on numerous threads that it is needed on a 5.7.

FlyinRyan 12-17-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTicket13 (Post 535702)
I wouldt do all the above and consider changing the TPS (throttle position sensor) I had a very similar problem with my Jeep until I replaced this part. It was about 20 buck with a lift time warranty.

While doing that though I did a full tune up (4.7) and cleaned the TB.

My symptoms where irregular RPMs in a stopped position bot parked and stopped at a light with the vehicle in drive. Stalled once or twice if I remember correctly.

Also with my 4.7 a catch can is no required, and I am not sure of the reason behind this on the 5.7, but I have seen on numerous threads that it is needed on a 5.7.

It is not NEEDED on either, but highly recommended. I would put one on a 4.7 too, the oil doesnt make it onto the TB, it just pools in the intake manifold plenum instead. Put a lit camera into there and you will see it for yourself.

just501 12-18-2011 12:01 PM

My '08 Hemi has this issue too, stalls at low to no speed and only starts after returning the key to off then back on. Only code I've seen was for thr ASD relay. My issues only started after replacing the plugs, possibly disturbing the harness. Some owners have relocated wire harness to coil packs and so far have solved the issue. There is a lenghty thread on this issue on another forum.

JeepCoop 12-18-2011 07:20 PM

I'm getting a p0884 code. Anyone else throwing any codes?

snooker 12-18-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just501 (Post 536057)
My '08 Hemi has this issue too, stalls at low to no speed and only starts after returning the key to off then back on. Only code I've seen was for thr ASD relay. My issues only started after replacing the plugs, possibly disturbing the harness. Some owners have relocated wire harness to coil packs and so far have solved the issue. There is a lenghty thread on this issue on another forum.

I've got the same issues on my 08 as well. It seems to be a pretty common problem for which there may be no easy solution. My 08 Hemi only has 30000 miles on it and it has been stalling on me since it had about 15000 miles. I changed the egr but that did nothing. The RPMs will fluctuate at idle about once a week and it will shut off at idle about once every 3-4 months. The problem is not severe but annoying.

lll2for3lll 12-18-2011 08:40 PM

Sounds like an electronic issue. A sensor or something. Vacuum issue maybe. EGR valve?

DirtyFrank 12-25-2011 12:47 AM

So I'll chime in here too...

2007 5.7L, 92K miles

Have had the jeep since Jan 2008 and 17K miles. Do all maintenance myself. Oil, plugs, did starter, Volant CAI installed, right front wheel bearing replaced, FRP ported TB.

Stalling started Oct 2011, after 3 times, was getting P0884 and ASD trouble code. Took it to dealer, replaced ignition switch ($300).

Worked for about a month but eventually stalled again. Next trip to dealer they flashed all Modules ($200). Eventually stalled again.

Found this thread : http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/stalling-issue-2007-hemi-wk-29577.html

Since I am guilty of overfilling figured this was it. Removed gas cap, still had stalling. Didn't fill over 1/2 tank, still had stalling. In an attempt to rule out EVAP system, I unplugged the purge solenoid. That worked for about a week and it's stalled each of the last 3 days.

Stalling occures:
Stopped at idle, engine just cuts out - quick turn of the key and starts right back up
Cruising at idle, engine just cuts out - Have to bump into neutral and start, won't start in Drive at speed. This happened while towing my boat, very alarming
At speed accelerating - Engine kind of jump starts itself.

During stalling I get the ding, check engine light comes on but the only code I get is the P0884, start up at speed.

So to continue trouble shooting here are my next steps:
- replace EVAP charcoal cannister
- replace EVAP purge solenoid
- Replace EGR valve
- Replace Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Not sure what else to do after that, maybe check plugs again and verify gaps.

If anyone has ideas, I'm open to them. Be nice to keep this thread going since it seems others have stalling issues as well.

Merry Christmas!!!

FlyinRyan 12-25-2011 10:05 AM

Wiring harness ....

JeepCoop 01-03-2012 12:07 PM

Mine just did it again. Gas light is on. Threw codes P 0884, P 0688. Anyone?!