Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Jeep Tailgate Shocks SUCK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/jeep-tailgate-shocks-suck-32763.html)

DGoral31 12-18-2011 08:10 PM

Jeep Tailgate Shocks SUCK

Hey guys, so my current WK is my 3rd Jeep i've had. On ALL Jeeps i've had to replace the shocks that hold up my tailgate. Not sure why this occurs on these vehicles but its definitely consistent with all the Jeeps i've owned.

I replaced my tailgate shocks today, they are easy to fix and runs about $60-$70 for the pair.

Anyway, just thought i'd post this for anyone else that noticed the same annoying issue.

-Dave

JAYBEE3 12-18-2011 08:20 PM

Re: Jeep Tailgate Shocks SUCK

Damn $60 that's pricy I have to replace mines soon...where u get them from autozone?

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-18-2011 09:48 PM

i have had to replace them at like 40k miles on my WJ and WK. they are junk and fail way to early. i replaced mine with strong arms from advance auto and they are still great after 60k+ miles. i also replaced my glass struts at the same time and they still open on their own when i use the key fob to open the rear glass.

01grand 12-18-2011 10:22 PM

Mine failed too, and the ones on my wifes PT are about shot. They are even worse in the winter. Not sure what brand I bought for the Jeep but they have lasted for a while now. Had to put on new hood struts too, after it almost fell on me.

DGoral31 12-18-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBEE3 (Post 536323)
Damn $60 that's pricy I have to replace mines soon...where u get them from autozone?

Nah i ordered mine from Pep Boys... I dont normally shop there but the ones i got surprisingly enough are GREAT.... i pop the handle and my tailgate shoots open as it should.

I also ordered the glass shocks but they sent the wrong parts so i didnt buy them... When i first got my Jeep i would push the unlock button on my remote and the glass would pop open all the way, now it just unlocks the glass. Its nice when it opens from the remote, so i will be changing those soon.

I agree the price is a little high, but in the end its worth it... you can probably get them for cheaper on ebay/amazon.

my last Jeeps were a 98 XJ and a 99 ZJ

DAVY27 12-19-2011 08:25 AM

same, have to replace mine when i get a chance. FTL!!!!

Frango100 12-20-2011 04:00 PM

Sofar only have changed the shocks for the hood, was driving around for some time with a wooden stick behind my seat, which i could use to hold the hood open:rolleyes:. (or to hit someone:lol:)
My tailgate shocks are still ok, but the flipglas is also too weak.
Is there no aftermarket stuff available which will do better?

DGoral31 12-20-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 537413)
Sofar only have changed the shocks for the hood, was driving around for some time with a wooden stick behind my seat, which i could use to hold the hood open:rolleyes:. (or to hit someone:lol:)
My tailgate shocks are still ok, but the flipglas is also too weak.
Is there no aftermarket stuff available which will do better?

there is a bunch of aftermarket stuff that will be 100% better!! Really easy to find too...