Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   failed torque converter (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/failed-torque-converter-32789.html)

matthewandandrea 12-19-2011 11:48 AM

failed torque converter

Hello there,

My wife and I are supposed to be getting our 2006 Jeep GC back from teh dealer today because the torque converter failed on it. It's got the 4.7l v8.

Has anyone else had the torque converter give up the ghost on you? Just wondering how or why this would have happened.

It's under warranty, so it's covered, but I was just curious how often this happens. I've been driving for a long time and I've never had a torque converter fail on me. BMW's, Fords, Chevy's...never a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love this Jeep, I'm simply interested in finding out if this is a common issue.

FlyinRyan 12-19-2011 11:49 AM

Re: failed torque converter

Its not common. It does happen, however.

Scottina06 12-19-2011 12:39 PM

rare IMO

Escape 12-19-2011 02:10 PM

How exactly did it fail?

I would also be wondering about the condition of the trans. If the converter fails it can destroy a trans easily!

jeepgcoman 12-19-2011 08:41 PM

Same questions/comments as Escape ^^^! Also, how many miles and had it ever been serviced? Is this one that had the trans. filter TSB? If so, had it been accomplished?

matthewandandrea 12-21-2011 11:06 PM

howdy guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Okay. it's an 06 JGC, we bought it in 07 with 17k from Carmax, it was a fleet vehicle, so I think it had a pretty good service history. We lived in Virginia at the time, and then we moved to California. Finally we moved to Michigan. Between 07 and 11, we racked up 58k more miles. we bought the extended warranty, so it's covered until 92k miles, or 2013. at 50k miles, we had the tranny serviced, just like the manual says.

at 75k (75105 to be exact) I put it in reverse one morning, and got nothing.

After being towed to the shop, the Chrysler stealership said the torque converter failed, but since it was covered, it only cost us 75 bucks. After confirming with the warranty folks that everything was covered, the stealership rebuilt all the 'soft' parts of the tranny...clutches, gaskets, seals, etc. They flushed all the other stuff...ports, lines, cooler, etc. and installed a new torque converter.

My wife and I have never taken this gal off road. I am somewhat embarrassed that I haven't gone rock climbing with it, but I bought it for the dependability for my wife, so she'd feel safe in it. All 76k miles on her have been highway miles. It is completely stock, in no way has it been upgraded or modified.

As far as the Transmission filter TSB, I do not know. The shop says the tranny is as good as new now, what with the rebuilding and all.

I'll let you guys know if anything else pops up.

jeepgcoman 12-22-2011 05:11 PM

Hope your problems are solved....I am sure they are. The TSB would/should have been accomplished with any filter (both return and main) change. The problem was with the cooler return filter.