Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Lifetime Warranty Question, LWM110N for 12 Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/lifetime-warranty-question-lwm110n-for-12-overland-32809.html)

azjb 12-19-2011 07:50 PM

Lifetime Warranty Question, LWM110N for 12 Overland

I am interested in the LWM100N Lifetime maxcare warranty for a 2012 Overland. I am an attorney and usually take the time to read everything I sign (or will sign). Pursuant to the sample service contract available at www.chryslerwarrantys.com, Some provisions concern me. I understand normal "wear" items such as brake pad, batteries, belts, and bulbs are not covered. That is reasonable. Several issues were listed in the "Not Covered" section that are not so reasonable:

THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:
Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear);
Exterior - tires; body sheet metal; glass; plastic lenses; paint; bright metal; bumpers; side-view mirrors (glass/ housing); wheel covers; steel wheels; aluminum wheels; rusted or frozen rims; door handles; weather strips; rust; water leaks; wind noises; all outer body panels; spoilers; plastic and fiberglass body parts; vinyl tops; convertible top fabric; repairs or damage caused by environmental factors such as acid rain, tree sap, salt or ocean spray;
Interior - trim; carpet; upholstery; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; buttons; moldings; arm rests and head liner; cargo cover;

The things that are exclued that bother me most are: normal wear, water leaks, wind noises, trim, door and window handles, knobs; buttons

By far the most concerning part to me is the "Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear)."

To play the devil's advocate, an alternator is covered as a part of the electrical system. Assume it fails at 120,000 miles. Was it defective or is that normal wear. The same argument can be made for most covered parts i.e. water pump, fuel pump, radiator, transmission, and most other parts.

Does anybody have any experience with older higher mileage vehicles with similar repairs under a similar Chrysler plan? I am very curious to hear from people with actual past experiences using similar Chrysler service plans.

Also, another issue is the following section:

IMPORTANT! The maximum reimbursable amount should a covered component fail will be THE TOTAL COST OF THE REPAIRS, PER VISIT, LESS THE DEDUCTIBLE, OR THE CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE WHICHEVER IS LESS!
The cash value of the vehicle will be determined by the average retail value as listed in the current NADA Used Car Pricing Guide. In situations where the repairs costs exceed the cash value of the vehicle, the remainder of the Plan
coverage will be cancelled.

In situations where "the maximum reimbursable amount should a covered component fail will be the CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE," are such payments paid to the service contract holder? Although one person here suggested that they buy your car, this provision does not say that. As an example, if your car has depreciated to $3000 and you need a $3500 repair (a major covered repair), are you paid $3000 and you walk away with a disabled car for which numerous diagnostic charges have been incurred?

I am not interested in receiving wild speculative responses as they won't help anybody. But, if you have real experience, it would be very helpful.

azjb 12-19-2011 09:26 PM

Re: Lifetime Warranty Concerns, LWM100N for 2012 Overland

The plan also calls for the use of remanufactured or used parts.

The plan also says that you have to use it at the selling dealer but that you MAY REQUEST service any Chrysler dealer if you cannot return to the selling dealer.

These provisions don't sound great either.

Can anybody scan and provide a copy (or post) the actual LWM100N lifetime warranty language?

Revelation78 12-20-2011 01:30 AM

Re: Lifetime Warranty Question, LWM110N for 12 Overland

Hopefully I can shed some light on a few things. When it comes to warranty coverage, for wearable items, it will be a jousting match between you and the dealership/manufacturer to prove it was a manufacturing defect. When I worked at a delearship, you would be surprised at the things people were trying to get covered under warranty.

There was one time a guy had hit his car with a baseball bat after watching a Saturn commercial. He came into the delearship claiming a defect and that Chrysler should cover the cost of repairs - stating that the panel should be "like" the Saturn.

You will find some delarships that will work with you if they think something is a defect versus normal wear. Chances are that 120,000 mile alternator will be considered normal wear. If there are reports, on forums for instance, of a lot of alternators failing at 120,000 miles then you will have a much stronger case as a defect.

Take that same alternator and is fails at 50 miles, 99 times out of 100 it will be covered under warranty. The best guard against your concern is to develop a great relationship with the service managers at the delearship you most often visit.

When it comes to the used parts or remanufactured parts, they have every right to use them. You also can't expect a manufatcurer to keep producing brand new parts for a 1990 Jeep if it was still covered under warranty.

You will not have any issues going to any Chrylser delear and getting service done. Just understand that there are quite a few out there that believe if you didn't buy from their delearship - you're not worth their time to go out of their way to service your issue. You will not have that at most delearships, especially at the large national ones.

When it comes to the cost of the repair versus the value of the vehicle. Take for instance that 1990 Jeep I mentioned earlier. Let's say you were able to get a lifetime warranty on it way back when. Now let's say its current value is $2k USD. The vehicle dies on you one day and you have it towed to a delearship. Turns out the engine is toast and your transmission is bad.

The total cost of repair, as quoted, would put you at $5k USD. It would make more sense for the manufacturer to simply pay you the value of the car versus repairing it. It makes the most fiscal sense.

Also understand, these exclusions and rules are pretty much standard with EVERY manufacturer out there. Even if you go and buy a $90k USD Mercedes it will have the same or very similar wording. If no one else can help you with the rest of your questions I can get you exact answers when I get back to the States next month.

peckmv 12-20-2011 08:39 AM

I also looked at the maxcare extended warranty and did a lot of research. I checked for the complaints and the praises. I read the contract and what it covered. All the consumer mags advised against them. Based on my repair history of my 98 Tahoe, with 195000 miles, and what it cost vs what it would have cost if I had this warranty it was an easy decision. I chose to pass. Its just too expensive and I felt it wasn't worth it. :cool:

bmrisko 12-20-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 537137)
I also looked at the maxcare extended warranty and did a lot of research. I checked for the complaints and the praises. I read the contract and what it covered. All the consumer mags advised against them. Based on my repair history of my 98 Tahoe, with 195000 miles, and what it cost vs what it would have cost if I had this warranty it was an easy decision. I chose to pass. Its just too expensive and I felt it wasn't worth it. :cool:

Did your Tahoe have an air suspension and miles of electrical wires to drive all the complex electronics? ;)

peckmv 12-20-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 537163)
Did your Tahoe have an air suspension and miles of electrical wires to drive all the complex electronics? ;)

No it didn't have air suspension but it had lots of electronics. Never had any electronic problems. I did read some reviews that tried to make claims with the air suspension and they fought tooth and nail to get the warranty company to cover them. They claimed it was normal wear and they weren't covered. These companies are in business to make money. The odds are in thier favor, not the consumer.

Jeeters 12-20-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 537250)
N...they fought tooth and nail to get the warranty company to cover them. They claimed it was normal wear and they weren't covered. These companies are in business to make money.

"company"? No way I'd ever buy a non-manufacturer warranty.

peckmv 12-20-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 537275)
"company"? No way I'd ever buy a non-manufacturer warranty.

This was Maxcare. Aren't they the warranty company with Chrysler?

Jeeters 12-20-2011 03:15 PM

Chrysler's "Maximum Care" warranty (often just shortened to "max care") is just a particular level of coverage. They also have lesser levels such as "Added Care" and "Powertrain Care".

azjb 12-20-2011 04:55 PM

At 1750 I think I will buy it, but I figure a fight will be brewing for an eventual showdown.

peckmv 12-20-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azjb (Post 537463)
At 1750 I think I will buy it, but I figure a fight will be brewing for an eventual showdown.

If I may ask. What level are you getting for 1750?

azjb 12-20-2011 07:29 PM

Max care lifetime through the selling dealer.