Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Battery Issues with Aus CRD? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/battery-issues-with-aus-crd-32813.html)

John47 12-19-2011 08:25 PM

Battery Issues with Aus CRD?

On another forum in Aus relating to WK2's there have been a few posters that have had flat battery issues with their CRD - so much so that the 800cca standard battery is being replaced with a 900cca.
I'm not sure if that is relative to a Aus Jeep directive or just the dealer going round a problem...
One poster mentioned his CRD required an update of the PCM to address battery management issues, and this was done by his dealer.

I did notice some time back in the WK2 brochure that there is mention of a "battery saver feature" adjacent to the battery spec.

Does anyone know what this feature is?

Are there other CRD's around Aus with batteries going flat?

ENFORCER 12-19-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Battery Issues with Aus CRD?

I think mine is one of the oldest CRD's and we have had no issues with the battery. Our car would see more starts than the average as I live and work 3km away. We also do many local stops, so the car is always starting and being used for short battery draining trips.
Hopefully it is not a common problem and only a few are affected. We have also not had anyone on here mentioning it.

Swampy 12-19-2011 11:12 PM

This may or may not be a contributor, but some of the 12v outlets do not turn off with the ignition. IE if accessories are plugged in they remain always on.

Each outlet has a symbol. Battery symbol means that it is always on. Key symbol and it turns off with the ignition.

Spentan 12-19-2011 11:43 PM

When I spoke to my dealer, I asked for an honest opinion on the WK2's reliability.

He mentioned that the Diesel's batteries were being replaced with a bigger capacity, but no probs with the hemi or the Pentastar.

If I had a diesel, I'd be lookin' into it.

ENFORCER 12-20-2011 03:48 AM

hmmm, no big trips planned, and I have some ballasted leads in the car.
We are still many months from our 10k km service, I hope it does not happen, I hate unreliability in a car that my wife has to drive.

MWithy 12-20-2011 04:26 AM

Has happened to our 2011 GC CRD picked up in August (JEEP ASSIST JUMPED STARTED) and has also refused to start twice but then starts 2 minutes or so later. Dealer said they'll replace battery at 10,000 service,not to confident as there's been numerous amount of posts as to possible causes :( on this issue on one site which has had over 29000 views.
Apart from one issue,love the car.

Mike.

John47 12-20-2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWithy (Post 537093)
Has happened to our 2011 GC CRD picked up in August (JEEP ASSIST JUMPED STARTED) and has also refused to start twice but then starts 2 minutes or so later. Dealer said they'll replace battery at 10,000 service,not to confident as there's been numerous amount of posts as to possible causes :( on this issue on one site which has had over 29000 views.
Apart from one issue,love the car.

Mike.

Yeah, MWithy, the Caravaners forum in Aus is where the info I posted came from.....the same issue you describe are in there with a number of posters - tough going now tho - 49 pages or so.
I was interested in why the brochure states there is a "battery saver feature" - and does that have something to do with why some Aus CRD's are experiencing battery issues.
I haven't seen any mention of battery problems with any other motor, so something is a bit strange!
Fingers crossed it gets sorted before ours arrives....

MWithy 12-20-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 537098)
Yeah, MWithy, the Caravaners forum in Aus is where the info I posted came from.....the same issue you describe are in there with a number of posters - tough going now tho - 49 pages or so.
I was interested in why the brochure states there is a "battery saver feature" - and does that have something to do with why some Aus CRD's are experiencing battery issues.
I haven't seen any mention of battery problems with any other motor, so something is a bit strange!
Fingers crossed it gets sorted before ours arrives....

John,

Shall wait and see, yes have a few posts on that forum but god knows where they're situated.

Mike

hiland 01-12-2012 08:34 PM

Dealer has advised that there are issues with the radio fitted to some vehicles diesel and petrol where the radio switches itself on and flattens the battery, the radios are being identified and replaced as required, the other point they made was that do not leave the key within 5 metres of the vehicle as this could also flatten battery, they advised this information came from Jeep AUS

frog_a_lot 01-12-2012 08:39 PM

Also, if you put the light dimmer switch all the way down it turns off alot of the internal lights, so when key is near or you unlock, it doesnt turn every light on, this helps conserve battery

allypally 01-12-2012 09:08 PM

5 Mtrs is not far.
Inside a house, I think many owners might have their key, probably sitting on a sideboard, which is within 5mtrs (as the fly flies) of the car.
I am also not surprised that some battery's are failing. The car gets built, has several stop/starts with very little alternator time to recharge, then sits dormant for a few months while the car is being shipped. Battery is probably near flat by the time it reaches the dealer. Flattened battery's generally have a shortened lifespan.

Deserthucker 01-13-2012 01:21 PM

Should not efect AGM batteries.
They can take more abuse then a lead acid.