Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Differential service? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/differential-service-32888.html)

hammer1234 12-21-2011 10:59 AM

Differential service?

At the last visit to the dealer they were pushing for a differential service at 15K miles, claiming it was something Jeep recommended. I checked the maintenance schedule and didn't see anything about it.

Is this just something the dealer is pushing to make additional $$ or is there a differential service that is truly recommended? If so, any info on the mileage interval?

Revelation78 12-21-2011 01:02 PM

Re: Differential service?

Differential is supposed to be done at 30K or 36K depending on driving habits if I remember correctly.

hammer1234 12-21-2011 01:24 PM

I just saw this service list at 24,000 miles in the manual...wonder if the last item is the "differential service".

Quote:

• Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 24,000 miles (39 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
  • Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing.

If so then I want to have it done, just not at 15K intervals.

wjs81866 12-21-2011 08:13 PM

I'm at 20K and some towing and will have mine done shortly, my wife's wont need to be done until around 30-35K as she doesn't tow or anything. I need to get under mine and see if I can drain and fill myself or if it will have to go in. I was told $269 for fr & Rr, mine has QD2 with limited slip. Seems like a lot for what is typically an easy DIY job.

Jeeters 12-21-2011 08:48 PM

I used to have to get the differential fluid changed regularly in my Liberty. I think the recommendation was every 18K or something like that. And because I had the limited slip option, a little bottle of "friction modifier" also had to be added when the fluid was changed. I learned to know when the differential needed servicing because I'd start to occasionally feel a slight shudder when turning at, say, a stop sign intersection. I've not yet looked into my WK2s requirements in regards to the differential at all.
Dealer used to charge about $65. It was supposedly not all that difficult a DIY, but I really didn't have a good place to do it.

ColdCase 12-21-2011 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
#8 on the front and #6 on the rear are drain and fill plugs.

hammer1234 12-21-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 538321)
I'm at 20K and some towing and will have mine done shortly, my wife's wont need to be done until around 30-35K as she doesn't tow or anything. I need to get under mine and see if I can drain and fill myself or if it will have to go in. I was told $269 for fr & Rr, mine has QD2 with limited slip. Seems like a lot for what is typically an easy DIY job.

I have to recheck the price the dealer is asking...looked like over $200 per axle. :eek:

rockrash 12-21-2011 10:51 PM

Its every 12,000 on 2005 wrangler do it myself easy.

hammer1234 06-29-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjs81866 (Post 538321)

I'm having mine done today (25K miles). Dealer is charging $300 for both axles (QT1), claims it costs more because of the fluid used. Not happy about the cost but I do want to get it done. Maybe I'll increase the interval to 30-36K for the next time around since I don't tow a huge amount.

kkreit01 06-29-2012 10:50 AM

"Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing."

I do none of the above, so I will be changing when the manual says I need to. Dealer has enough of my money already :) .

peckmv 06-30-2012 02:52 PM

I looked at the manual and it never says to change the diff fluid. It only says inspect. It does say to change if the JGC is a cop car, frequent towing, or severe driving. It also has the wrong weight lube in the manual. Its the 5th edition. You would think they would have it corrected by now.:wtf:

hammer1234 07-02-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer1234 (Post 649626)
I'm having mine done today (25K miles). Dealer is charging $300 for both axles (QT1), claims it costs more because of the fluid used. Not happy about the cost but I do want to get it done. Maybe I'll increase the interval to 30-36K for the next time around since I don't tow a huge amount.

Quoting my own post with a few details of what mine cost...the service was 1 hour of labor (just shy of $90) plus IIRC about $190 for the fluid.

For those that don't tow I would go with the inspection only. Since we don't "frequently" tow I think we will increase the replacement interval a bit...