Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   LOUD popping noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/loud-popping-noise-32893.html)

DGoral31 12-21-2011 12:21 PM

LOUD popping noise

Hey guys, maybe someone could give me some insight on something...

last night i noticed a loud poping noise coming from the Jeep. I had just drove it to my cousins house for Hanuka and was walking to the front door and heard the sound. It wasn't the sound of air suddenly escaping from something... it was more similar to the releasing of a spring or something involving tension, and it only happened once.

I've heard similar noises in the past but this one really caught my attention. I was about 60ft from my Jeep when i heard it so its hard to say if the noise came from the front, back, right or left of the vehicle.

Any body have ANY clue what this might be??

Im baffled.

-Dave

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-21-2011 06:17 PM

Re: LOUD popping noise

your muffler is about ready to pop open. look under after you get out, it will be glowing hot in the middle part of the bottom. mine popped for a few weeks and then eventually cracked open.

DGoral31 12-21-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 538248)
your muffler is about ready to pop open. look under after you get out, it will be glowing hot in the middle part of the bottom. mine popped for a few weeks and then eventually cracked open.

no F'n way! ok ill check... I'm planning on putting on a magnaflow this week so i guess the timing is right!!

Thanks Sven!!

you think its because of my CAI??

JAYBEE3 12-21-2011 07:37 PM

DAmn crazy good thing you are changeing the muffler....What kind of magnaflow are you putting?

DGoral31 12-21-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYBEE3 (Post 538299)
DAmn crazy good thing you are changeing the muffler....What kind of magnaflow are you putting?

to be honest, im not sure lol... I'm doing a favor for a client of mine who works with custom cars... in return he said he'd throw on a cat back exhaust w/ a magnaflow muffler... didnt ask what model, i just smiled and said OK!

JAYBEE3 12-21-2011 08:29 PM

Nice sounds like a deal lol

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-21-2011 10:19 PM

i went with a magnaflow when mine blew out as well. i LOVE it

swing4terps 01-24-2012 04:15 PM

How noticeable is a hole in your muffler when driving?

I used to get this popping sound after turning the car off, but haven't noticed it recently.

Coincidentally (or not) I've noticed a HINT of what I can best describe as "the 2Fast2Furious Honda Civic exhaust" sound when accelerating from stops. You know, like a weed-eater.

I briefly looked under at the muffler and didn't notice any holes.

Thoughts?

jlewissystem 01-24-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 559746)
How noticeable is a hole in your muffler when driving?

I used to get this popping sound after turning the car off, but haven't noticed it recently.

Coincidentally (or not) I've noticed a HINT of what I can best describe as "the 2Fast2Furious Honda Civic exhaust" sound when accelerating from stops. You know, like a weed-eater.

I briefly looked under at the muffler and didn't notice any holes.

Thoughts?

No thread jacking!!! :) BUT check the flange and make sure bolts/seams are tight all the way back

DGoral31 01-24-2012 05:10 PM

im just going to replace my stupid exhaust and thats it... i've had it planned for a while but the dude who's supposed to do it keeps flaking.

swing4terps 02-15-2012 02:58 PM

So I was told by the mechanic that my muffler is rotting from the inside out causing it to vibrate/clank loudly at higher RPMs. Apparently it's 3 pieces from the factory after the converter. $680 for parts and labor for the exhaust pipe, muffler, clamp, and tail pipe. Lifetime warranty on those. Thoughts on that much just to cure a noise? There are no leaks or holes.

Stillchi 02-15-2012 03:37 PM

i dnt hear a popping noise but mine is doin all those other things ... if u guys can please check out my thread on 3.7 misfire please!